Won Some Beautiful English Walnut On Ebay!

fyb

Hey all! I snagged this on ebay and as long as the pics don't lie I think I'm in love :D

d8c4_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=180155012898

The seller said he has the 16" Grizzly resaw so accurate cuts shouldn't be a problem, but he can't thickness sand them for me. The board measures 1 3/8" thick so how many bookmatched sets do you think I can get out of it, allowing for some sanding afterwards? I'm thinking of using them for drop tops so they don't have to be much thicker that 1/8"+ but I don't know much about resawing and what you need to allow for sanding.

I was hoping to make a semi-hollow guitar with the walnut for the front and back, and if I could get some more I'd make a twin but with some different specs or maybe even a bass.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hey all! I snagged this on ebay and as long as the pics don't lie I think I'm in love :D

d8c4_1.JPG

The seller said he has the 16" Grizzly resaw so accurate cuts shouldn't be a problem, but he can't thickness sand them for me. The board measures 1 3/8" thick so how many bookmatched sets do you think I can get out of it, allowing for some sanding afterwards? I'm thinking of using them for drop tops so they don't have to be much thicker that 1/8"+ but I don't know much about resawing and what you need to allow for sanding.

I was hoping to make a semi-hollow guitar with the walnut for the front and back, and if I could get some more I'd make a twin but with some different specs or maybe even a bass.

I met the guys from JX3 at a woodworkers show a couple years ago. Nice fellas, and are pretty close to were I live in Oregon. They were using a nice smooth low loss blade as I remember(unsurfaced resaw cuts were pretty smooth, and they were pretty proud of the results). If you go really thin you have to be sure the cuts are really accurate (no wandering). You are going to have to ask them what the kerf of their blade is and how close they are willing to cut(they are taking a risk when they cut close). Getting a couple acoustic back sets out of a 1-3/8" piece of wood is not too difficult at all. If the wood is straight and ready to evenly cut at 1-3/8", you could get two 1/4" sets if the cutting accurate(you need to make three cuts and you would have 1/8" for the kerf of each cut(most blades don't need that much kerf)). How much you have to allow for clean up will totally depend on how straight they cut and how smooth the cut is(straightness is the big variable).

Peace,Rich

d8c4_1.JPG

I met the guys from JX3 at a woodworkers show a couple years ago. Nice fellas, and are pretty close to were I live in Oregon. They were using a nice smooth low loss blade as I remember(unsurfaced resaw cuts were pretty smooth, and they were pretty proud of the results). If you go really thin you have to be sure the cuts are really accurate (no wandering). You are going to have to ask them what the kerf of their blade is and how close they are willing to cut(they are taking a risk when they cut close). Getting a couple acoustic back sets out of a 1-3/8" piece of wood is not too difficult at all. If the wood is straight and ready to evenly cut at 1-3/8", you could get two 1/4" sets if the cutting accurate(you need to make three cuts and you would have 1/8" for the kerf of each cut(most blades don't need that much kerf)). How much you have to allow for clean up will totally depend on how straight they cut and how smooth the cut is(straightness is the big variable).

Peace,Rich

They say I can get 3 sets @ about .17" They don't think it'll be a problem ... think I'll be OK? They say they have the Grizzly 16" horizontal resaw which is a $16K machine, so I'm hoping for the best! They'll be drop tops more than likely so I'm should make out OK. All told, not too shabby for $100 I hope.

That sounds reasonable. 6 sets(@.17"=1.02") means 5 cuts(and if they are using a carbide blade with a kerf in the .055" range=.275") for a total of 1.278". that should leave them 3/32" play which is not that hard to achive. You will probably have to use about .015" to clean the saw marks off each side(but take small steps with your sander). I cut to those tolerances regularly with my regular vertical(either the 14" or 18") pretty regularly for my acoustics, and those guys are probably better with their saw than I am with mine(as well as they have a better machine than me). Should be nice looking sets. Be sure you sticker and weight that Walnut when you recieve it(this will help it adjust to your humidity without looking like potato chips).

Peace,Rich