First (serious) Build.

digi2t

UPDATE...

Well, NOW it's done. I recieved the fretboard from Antonio Tsai Friday, and here is the finished product;

100_0688.jpg

Some closeups;

Full view

Fretboard

Fretboard Closeup

Yeah, real... busy you may say. But, the wife loves it, and around here, that's what counts. Plus, we all know how women love "bling". Hence, this V has been christened "Gigi".

Let me add the following info. This was the first fretboard I get from this guy, and the slots were very shallow. I had to resaw them all. Also, at first measure, the slots are not cut spot on. I ran the numbers through the fret tolerance calculator (Calculator click here), and they were borderline +/- 10 cents, so I ran with it. As for the stability of the rosewood, only time will tell. The inlay work is fantastic to my eyes though. I don't know what kind of wages they're making over in Taiwan, but 25 bucks barely gets you a piece of rosewood over here. Never mind the boggling amount of work that went into this piece. North American workers...YOU ARE DOOMED!

In the process, I did come up with a nifty idea. When I was preping the fretboard, I saved some of the 320 grit sanding dust of the wood. I used the dust mixed in with any epoxy I used to color match the wood. Worked fabulous. Just thought I would share that with you all.

For any graphite aspiree's, I used Weldbond brand glue. Removal of the prior fretboard proved a good bond, but not so much that I had to destroy anything during the removal process. I've never tried Titebond on graphite, but this try proved Weldbonds worth with graphite. If anyone would like to see pics of the 6mm threaded inserts I used for the neck/body attachment, let me know, and I'll post them. They are available in any hardware store.

That's it... for now.

P.S. The autographed Nazareth album is NOT for sale. So don't waste your saliva.

Turned out awesome!

The fretboard has a little more 'bling' than I would have gone for, but thats just personal preference, and the guitar still looks great in my opinion.

6 or 7 string sax? :D

Sidetracking is OK. It's the only moments we'll ever get to stop and smell the roses. Let me know what you decide on. By the way (now I'm really going to try and screw you up), just saw a one piece korina Explorer body blank on Ebay. Hee Hee....

Cheers

I forgot about the auction and went to a houseparty that evening- it ended up selling for something ike £175...

Ah well. I ended up getting a bass, a saxophone and a few more effects pedals. cost a lot, but it should make a good christmas present to myself :D

I guess I can live without another guitar anyway, I do have quite a few now... B)

And I would normally be tempted by the korina, but I have nowhere near enough spare time for any building at the moment (nor do I have anywhere to do it). My next project wont be till next summer at the earliest.

Hell, I've barely had time to check the forum recently.. although that should change by the end of the week (woo, Christmas Holidays!!)

• 1 month later...
If anyone would like to see pics of the 6mm threaded inserts I used for the neck/body attachment, let me know, and I'll post them. They are available in any hardware store.

That's it... for now.

P.S. The autographed Nazareth album is NOT for sale. So don't waste your saliva.

Yes, I'd love to see pictures of the threaded inserts please....

Nice guitar !