Fetzer / Ruby Sustainer Not Working For Me

Risingforce

Hello all!

I tried to drawing this layout:

But i can't get it work, it humming and etc problems. Can anyone check this out, if it drawed correct?

e.jpg

fetzer-ruby.png

If somebody got working fetzer / ruby sustainer pcb/component layout, please send it to me.

I tried to build DIY FEVER fetzer-ruby, but it not work. I don't understand why the are two ground points, and why it is humming when not batteries on.

I winded my mic 9ohm.

THX ALL!

Hi again Ari...hopefully people will find this here, the main sustainer thread is pinned to the top of this page though and emails automatically most interested parties in the project...which is why it is so big I suspect...so joining in there might get more rewards...still...

My download from DIY Fever looks like this...

FR.jpg

Your's is a vero/pcb version...I don't see where you downloaded this version...did you do the layout yourself?

For others who haven't discovered it yet, DIY Layout Creator is fantastic FREE software with many guitar effect projects and can be downloaded at this site...Storm Software...and also this link will take you to Bancika's own blog on this sustainer project and worth a look.

You will notice that even Bancika has noted that his schematic is not "verified"...meaning that it has not been tested correct by someone else, though I do know he made it so I assume it is correct. If you do your own, it is easy to make mistakes and hard to spot so check in case!

If you look at the diagram I posted, you will see the pickup connects to R2 and Gnd (ground, along with the rest of the guitar including the bridge, etc) while the battery connects to +9v and the -9v connects to Gnd also (either side of C2 on my diagram, C5 on yours).

Just quickly looking at it, it does not seem correct and I have a few reservations or suggested modifications to this myself. Straight away I can see that C2 connects to ground ok but the drive also connects to ground through this cap instead of directly to ground, so there is one mistake.

I have never built this circuit and the last time I drew one up, I made similar mistakes! Often mistakes like these are only found once you build it, preferably someone else does too and works them out!

This mistake I found though would not be causing hum as you describe and the circuit would probably work regardless if this is the only problem (I have not checked it fully). It sounds as if in installing the thing you have lifted the guitar ground, so check that. Also, use a battery, if you use a power supply this can cause hum and is to be avoided.

Ideally you would be testing this on a working guitar outside before trying to install it to verify that the circuit and driver works first!

I have to say that the Fetzer Ruby schematic if from the tutorial thread, was also not posted by me nor have I verified that for mistakes. I assume because people have made it successfully that it is "ok" though. It is not the best design though. For one thing it is a mash of two of the runoffgroove circuits. While these "work" I don't understand quite why they came to these designs and they may well not be the best for this project (though it may work).

For instance, the LM386 Data Sheet, page 5 top right x200 circuit, suggests a 10uF cap between pins 1 and 8 (you can leave the trim pot in by connecting the cap to the trim and the trim to the other pin for adjustable gain) which helps with oscillation, the "zobel network" is the small cap and resistor from pin 5 (your C1 connection) to ground. This is also there to help with stability and in this high gain application, the circuit needs all the help it can get. As for the "Fetzer" J201 part of the circuit, this is not something I am familiar with myself. You may wish to substitute the output cap (your C1) for something smaller, I use a 100uF to get a kind of mixed mode and enhanced harmonics.

The Fetzer/Ruby solution was suggested long after I started working on my DIY sustainers and was not something I "endorsed". Still, it become the "standard" and has apparently worked for quite a few people, so each to their own.

Personally, I don't find it "ideal", but all we are really seeking is a preamp to avoid loading on the guitar (and perhaps a little gain) and a power amp (the LM386 is a good solution) that is stable (it needs the help of these extra caps and stuff in my opinion and I don't understand ROG deleting them and calling the circuit their own...hmmmm).

hope that helps...

pete

Oh....just a casual glance at your circuit and it would appear that you have the j201 back to front!!! This would most likely be very bad and may even have damaged it!!! I don't have time to go over the whole circuit now, but there appears to be a few errors and even if I drew it I could make some too that I wouldn't find unless I actually built it. This circuit has given me no end of headaches and is why I cringe at it every time (and it appears too often) people have trouble with the thing....grrrrr

Thanks PSW! for your fullness answer, you gived me new hope for this project. Yes i tried to layot pcb myself, but i getting "blinded" for my own errors :D . I will check this all things out and try to build it again with new components.I try that LM386 with x200 extra cap and resistor if it work someway, getting more stable signal. It's a great to see such wise knowledge of things here! Keep going!

Edited by Risingforce