Brown ash for a guitar body?

I've went to what seems to be the only place who sells woods suitable for a guitar in my area (Langevin & Forest in Montreal, Canada), I've found gorgeous pieces of mahogany, walnut, nice exotic woods for top, and all kinds of maple.

However, I was shopping for relatively cheap wood for my first project cause I don't want to ruin a perfectly fine piece of mahogany (I saw a huge chunk there which was big enough to build 5 guitars AND necks). But the only economic woods I've found were Yellow Poplar and Basswood, and the basswood came in 4-5 piece blanks. They were however able to provide me poplar lumber big enough to build a 2 pieces. But no alder in sight.

However, although they didn't have Swamp Ash, they did have white and brown ash. I know white ash's problem is mostly weight, but it's still suitable as tonewood. However, I've never heard about brown ash. Is it suitable for a guitar? Could it be just an alternative way of saying Swamp Ash? (I've asked specifically for swamp ash and the guy told me they only carried white and brown ash).

You mean "online"?

If so, I'd rather buy expensive wood localy than cheap wood online and then pay for shipping :D

I was able to get for 225$ B) a plank of mahogany big enough to do 10 1-piece body blanks, try to find a 23$ mahogany blank on the internet? :D

As for the brown ash, I made some searches on the internet, and I'm 40% sure it's the same thing as swamp ash. Anyway, I don't really mind the weight (main guitar is a LP), I'll probably go ahead and try it! Most tone woods were discovered almost by mistake...

That was a plank they happened to have in the store, but they do offer custom cuts, although I didn't inquire on the cost for mahogany.

Perhaps that piece was cheap because the grain wasn't perfectly pretty in some places, but there was still sufficient nice looking parts to make a few guitars with a natural finish. The rest could be used for necks, or for guitars with laminated tops.

They also had a 850$ chunk big enough to do a 1-piece dining table :D

Oh, and it was south american mahogany, not african (they did offer that as well)