first project, need advice and links

You do indeed need to paint the red first then maybe tape of the design somehow and then paint it black.

The difference in the floyd is as the name suggests is the profile the low pro model gets lower to the body.

Well it should be fun trying to tape that design off... lol... hmm, definitly going to be a task and a half... but alas, this is what I want and I shall work my butt off to try and get it as close to that as I can!

Hmm, I better wait till I get this neck then before I order my bridge then, I'll have to check out the height of the frets and see whether having a low profile floyd would be a bad idea... dont wanna build my guitar and find it fret buzzes all over the place! lol

But I like low action so I really would like the low profile one if I can get away with it... hmm... *think think think* man planning guitars is hard work...

Well at least I'm doing planning, since I decided to make my own guitar my buddy from University has decided to as well... and well erm, he hit it VERY lucky in the fact his dad had some mahogany in the garage... but this is what his guitar looks like at the moment:

steve.jpg

He didn't have enough wood, so he got some random wood to add to the sides... lol... he hasn't planned a single thing so far, hasn't read any book or stuff online... He isn't listening to me at all... oh well, if he thinks he can just make a guitar randomly I think he's gonna be in for a shock... but oh well... hehe

I find the biggest problem with most UK luthier suppliers is their lack of a decent online ordering website. Us regular web users get so very lazy and won't pick up the phone sometimes. Luthier Supplies and Touchstone Tonewoods are two website's I'd love to be able to order online from.