"stacked" Pot Wiring Question...

~Maxx

Hello all. I'm working on a little mod for my strat and I've come across something that has me a bit stumped. I won't go into the "why's" or "what for's", but I'm attempting to creat a combination vol/tone pot. with a "stacked" (I think they're also called "piggy-backed") knob that has a center position, rather than using the "push/pull" type knob. What I'm shooting for is the following: Knob turned down=no vol., knob at center=full vol./full tone, knob cranked=full vol./tone down...

I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track with the diagram below (pardon the crudity - I'm not schooled!), but I need someone to get me that last step of the way!

Greatly apreciate any advice!

"stacked" pot schematic...

Thanx a bunch...

~Maxx

I'm not really clear on what you've got, but it sounds like a dual-ganged pot, or two pots with a single shaft controlling both. If that's correct, there's no way to implement what you want. :D I won't go into the "why's" either, but it would take a specially designed custom pot, basically half a panpot (for the volume portion) ganged with a linear pot at double the resistance. Is there some reason why you can't simply use a dual concentric pot? They're readily available, and still give you the option of adjusting both volume and tone from a single spot.

Thanx for the reply lovekraft! We're pushing the boundaries of my wire-monkey vocabulary a bit here - but I'll do my best to keep up...

For starters, this is what I'm working with (at least it looks the same). Pretty much what you described from what I can tell. I've had these lying around for several years. I'm really not sure where they came from or how I ended up with them, but I needed 3 pots for my guitar (doing a full tune-up - new wire, toggles, pots, jack, the works!), so I figured I'd put them to use. I only have room for 3 knobs, so I have to either choose between vol. & tone, or find a way to achieve both with one pot. These were readily available, so...

So... Since this type of pot will not do what I want it to I'm left with a choice to make. Buy new pots (which certainly wouldn't upset me in the least), or figure out some other excuse for using these babies on my axe. I was honestly hoping to use what I had just for the sake of getting them out of my parts box. It seems such a shame to not use them for something.

Now... If I do end up going the dual-concentric route (those are the stacked pots with a seperate control - main shaft and outer shaft - for each pot, right?), I'm going to end up buying new knobs as well. Unless there's some magic knob trick that I'm unaware of. So that's another expense that I could avoid by sticking with what I've got. But at the same time - what can I do with these things? There must be some remotely practical use for them...

Comments anyone?

Thanx a million for your words of wisdom lovekraft!

~Maxx

That's a picture of a "blend pot", or more generically, a panpot. It's used for blending two pickups. We can kinda make that work, but you won't have the option of adjusting the tone setting except at full volume. In other words, you'll be able to turn down the volume or the tone, but never both. Is that what you're looking for?

you'll be able to turn down the volume or the tone, but never both.

That's exactly what I was shooting for lovekraft! Sorry I didn't make that very clear in my initial post.

So I'm back in the game! but what to do with that 3rd connection on the top row? surely it can't be left empty. Ground? That doesn't make sense either since the opposite poll is also grounded through the capacitor. Or maybe my entire schematic is off by a mile! It wouldn't be the first time!

Thanx for all your help lovekraft!

~Maxx

I went ahead and wired one of these up (just the initial connections between the posts on the pot. based on my crude diagram from above) and, according to the multimeter, the signal is doing exactly what I wanted it to do. I can only assume that the connection opposite the capacitor will go out to the jack (even though there will be no signal going to that connection when the pot is turned down). That's what makes the most sense to me anyway. I just have to wonder if I can get away with leaving it empty though.

I'll let you all know what I come up with...

All the best...

~Maxx

I always seem to make things more complicated than they actually are! This apears to be a much better schematic lovekraft. Keeping the initial signal closer to the capacitor makes more sense now that I see it drawn out for me. And aparently I can leave that last post empty, huh?

You've been invaluable lovekraft!

All the best...

~Maxx