Pedal

matttheguy

Hey everyone!

I just bought an Epiphone Firefly 30 DSP, and on the back it has a jack 'Aux in' and 'Chan 1/2, DSP on/off'.

First, can someone explain what Aux in is?

Secondly, I'd like to see if it were possible to make a simple pedal to switch between channel 1 and 2. I have no idea if this is at all possible, but if it is, please tell! I'd like to build my own, regardless of cost!

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aux is short for auxilary and its what u plug your cd player or metronome into

about the footswitch i dont know if theres a foot switch socket at the back it could be a bit of a pain to do

Edited by George Brown

here are some boxes you may find usefull

That doesn't sound very hard at all....

Any idea where I could locate an on/off switch like that, one that you would step on to click it on?

EDIT: George Brown, I was thinking for a box I would probably make my own to match the amp, with the faux red leather and everything:

p32226d.jpg

Edited by matttheguy

heres a switch which would be good, but i think a DPDT would also work and allow you to have an led

edit try here

Edited by George Brown

I cant tell you how to wire it, but I made a single switch footswitch for a mate, you've just gotta figure out which terminal in the jack is for what, and run a SPST switch across the terminals. Or a dpdt if you want an led. If its a 2 button you are after, I would assume that the ring is a common for both switches, and the "left" and "Right" hots on the jack go to their respective switches, maybe its an xlr jack I dunno.

To answer your question, YES you can make one, very cheaply too if you get the parts at the right places. Google round, there is a schematic I found very easily last year, for a vox footswitch I think it was. matched most of the switches I've seen.

Edited by Mr Alex

sorry double post

Edited by George Brown

Well, here's the back of the amp:

http://img328.imageshack.us/img328/7927/inputs0tf.jpg

Sorry for my extremely unsteady hand.

The first jack says 'Aux in' and the second says 'Footswitch' above it and 'Ch 1/2' below and 'DSP on/off' right underneath that.

Would it be possible to wire a one switch pedal that controls just the channel selection? That's optimal for me, but if I MUST wire one that controls DSP also, I can do that.

Edited by matttheguy

If you figure out which terminals do what, you could do a channel only switch. I have no idea if this would hurt the amp, but, I would wire a stereo 1/4" plug with the ground leading to the common of the switch, and the"left" hot going to one of the other terminals on that pole, plug it in and test it, if it swtiches the effects, swap the left hot to the right hot.

If you want an led too, wire the led with a 47k resistor(try different values to get what you want, but I wouldn't recommend much below that, one exploded on me the other day) to a 9v battery and wire across the other pole on the switch.

Sorry for the bad instructions, I'll draw you up a quick picture.

Edited by Mr Alex

While amps aren't my thing, I don't know what harm you could do it, but hey if I just bought a new amp, I guess I wouldn't wanna mess with it, for at least a few hours :D

footswitch.jpg

That should do what you are after, sorry about the small size, photobucket started down scaling everything the other day. On second thought, hard wire that to a stereo plug, other wise you'll need a stereo lead I think to amke the jack setup work. If it doesn't work, just rverse the twotip connections.

Before you try it, perhaps someone with more amp experience would know if it would work?

Edited by Mr Alex

Sorry about the bad picture, I was trying to eat breakfast at the same time, the new one isn't much better, that one I as trying to eat lunch while drawing, and now my lunch is cold :D

footswitchcopy.jpg

If it doesn't work, I'd try swapping the tip connection on the plug. If that still doesn't work, without a schematic I dont think I could do much more, I'll have a looksie for one now, but doubt I'll find anything.

Edited by Mr Alex

It doesn't HAVE to be 47k, but 300 ohms is too small, you can try it : the led will last a few seconds, then make a funny popping noise, as it makes that noise it sprays hot plastic onto your eyelids(if you have quick reactions.) Or it will just stop working, I must admit, hot plastic in the eye is much more interesting.

There is an equation to figure out the resistor value required, but I've never used it, probably never will, you can't go wrong with 47k. My dad says he's been using a 47k as default for like 40 years. Only time you use a different one, is with high intensity leds, more than 2 leds, or if you aren't using 9v.