Tru Oil Over Green Stain?

It works great over stain. Tru-Oil is polymerized oil, so it'll dry faster than any of the other oils and you can build a finish with it(though 2-4 coats is plenty, if it isn't shiny enough for you after a few coats you can rub it hard with a cloth to raise the sheen). Don't put too much on though, as it's not a hard finish and will get gummy if you build it too much.

Don't use it if you plan on abusing this guitar or if you want a glossy hard finish. It won't protect much from wear or water and doesn't build like lacquer or poly. Do use it if you need something easy that gives a great-looking satin finish, or if you just like the feel of an oil finish. It's also easily repairable because if you get a scratch you can just throw more oil on it.

Use the search to look for build threads and more detailed instructions on applying it.

Edit: Here's a good guide from LMII http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/TruOil.htm

Edited by Keegan

• 2 weeks later...
It works great over stain. Tru-Oil is polymerized oil, so it'll dry faster than any of the other oils and you can build a finish with it(though 2-4 coats is plenty, if it isn't shiny enough for you after a few coats you can rub it hard with a cloth to raise the sheen). Don't put too much on though, as it's not a hard finish and will get gummy if you build it too much.

I'm by no means a finishing or Tru-Oil expert but this comment confuses me a bit. I'm not arguing, just trying to get more info because I have used Tru-Oil in the past and plan to continue using it and would like to get the best finish that I can with it.

You say that 2-4 coats is plenty and to not use too much because it will get gummy if you build too much ? I've seen multiple threads describe applying 20+ coats before buff out to get a good finish. Do you think that's overkill ?

I've finished two bodies and two necks in Tru-Oil and have stopped after 5-6 coats because I'm impatient and the guitars were for me. I thought that I would go the extra mile and shoot for the 20 coat range if I ever finished a commission in Tru-Oil.

I do lots of high gloss Tru Oil finishes on my steels and have not found it to get "gummy"

Maybe if you slopped it on and didn't have any cure time, but then your not going to get a nice mirror finish anyways.

Multiple thin coats works great ... build it up and block it down. Truth is that by the time you get it leveled out, there really is not that thick of a film.

First shot is the back of a mahogany / maple laminate steel I recently finished.

R-004-15s.jpg

R-004-17s.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I do lots of high gloss Tru Oil finishes on my steels and have not found it to get "gummy"

Maybe if you slopped it on and didn't have any cure time, but then your not going to get a nice mirror finish anyways.

Multiple thin coats works great ... build it up and block it down. Truth is that by the time you get it leveled out, there really is not that thick of a film.

First shot is the back of a mahogany / maple laminate steel I recently finished.

R-004-15s.jpg

R-004-17s.jpg

Quarter, Nice job, Quastion, I am in the process of doing a tru oil finish for the first time, Can it be buffed with a powered buffer of the swan down type for a shine after a couple of weeks?

Thanks in advance ,,kev

• 2 weeks later...