Inlay with Opal?

deshibs

Just curious if anyone has heard of someone using Opal for inlay on their fret boards. I have a nice Piece that is flat on top and not too thick, I was considering using it on the 12th Fret as a marker. Opal is kind of delicate and can crack easily under certain conditions, but it may work on an ebony neck. Anyway... Just an idea! Anyone hear of this? Maybe I will be the first? (doubtful)! :D

Real opal has to be inset, not inlaid. It's to hard.

I can go into details, but suffice it to say it won't work easily. I have never seen real opal inlaid into a guitar, but you may see it worked into an inlay after the inlay is completed.

There is a synthetic opal, but it's as hard as the real stones. Recon stone is much softer than real stone, but it's very true to the colors. There is no recon opal.

C Lavin

I had considered the Inset of the Opal also, as with inlay, the surface of the inlay is exposed, but I was thinking that I would have to route a little deeper and set the Opal and the follow up with some sort of protective transparant cover for it, is it possible to use laquer or something similar? I am concerned that what ever I use to fill, will scratch over time. I know that I could use it in the headstock etc... without worry, but I wanted to use it at the 12th fret.

If I have a 1 or 2 mill space from the surface of the Opal to the surface of the fret board, I would think that would be enough fill to protect the Opal and still allow the beauty of the Opal to show, but now I will have to protect the filler, if it's too soft it will scrath when doing bends etc.... I thought about glass, but I am not sure if I can get glass that thin. Hmmm.... Maybe I will just have to forgat about it, but I will give it a bit more time for discussion, perhaps someone will have an idea. :D

I have seen stones inset lower than the surface, and covered with CA on headstocks, then finished over.

Obviously this means a lot. There is no wear on the headstock, hence everything hopefully stays nice. I can't recommend anything for the fretboard, as everything will scratch or wear with use. Even pearl thins out over heavy use and time. Woods more so. You can maybe get away with CA glue, but polish it out very well, and maybe experiment with a different, less expensive countersunk material first.

C. Lavin

I had an extra piece of ebony between the headstock and the nut, like fender style but longer. I inlaid a piece of Turqoise stone in it but there is no way you can sand it level. It's a shame I had to tear it off because it hit the strings. It was looking incredible.