anybody tried building a bridge?

i found some solid steel square stuff that's an inch thick and i was wondering if it'd be possible to build a bridge and i wonder if it'd be very hard... i have drill bits that will go through it 'n' i was thinkin about having it adjust length like a fender bridge or a hardtail and then adjust height like a TOM...... anybody know how hard it'd be?

Hey BlackHawk2025,

I wouldn't suggest it really. If you don't have a milling machine handy you are looking at a whole lot of sweat going into your nicely rusting hardware. But then you can get it plated when you're done, if you've done a wonderful job and want to preserve it. The plating will cost more than a new bridge though. Not trying to discourage you in the least, but I wouldn't tackle that project myself and I run a full machine shop. Some things just aren't very practical.

If you have a super slick design and are burning to build it, try to get a piece of brass instead. It will be about a fourth as much work as the steel one and it won't rust on you.

id have to agree here, steel is definately not the material you want to work with unless you have large tools. a nice heavy drill press and a long time to machine it is what will happen.

try making models out of wood first, then move up to aluminum, its cheap and easy to work with and doesnt get to hot when you mill or drill it.