Ibanex Wh-10

unsubtle57

hey there, i really love the sound of the Ibanez WH-10 Wah pedal, but there...

1- impossible to find

2- expensive

3- the casing is plastic

so i wanna make my own.

firstly is this possible? if i get the schematic and a case could i knock one up fairly easily? and secondly where could i find the schematic for this wah? im kinda new to this and id really love to give it a try.

so whats the verdict, possible or a waste of time?

To answer your questions,

firstly is this possible?
Yes.
if i get the schematic and a case could i knock one up fairly easily?
It depends on your skill level - the WH-10 isn't exactly a beginner project, and just the switching circuit might prove frustrating for a noob.
and secondly where could i find the schematic for this wah?
Try a Google search - or search for guitar F/X sites and browse through them. Contrary to popular belief, there isn't a comprehensive clearinghouse for F/X info on the 'Net or a secret decoder ring that'll find schematics magically, so you'll have to dig for what you want (anything worth doing is worth an hour on Google :D ). IIRC, the WH-10 is a dual opamp filter wah, but it's been a long time since I've seen one.

B) If it only took 4 seconds, why did you ask here first? :D

To answer your question, I definitely think the WH-10 would be easier to start with than any commercial phaser, but neither one is exactly easy. You might consider going to the General Guitar Gadgets main page and picking out a simple booster or distortion that you can get a RTS (ready to solder) pc board for as your first build, but if you've got the drive and can handle the possibility of failure, I say go for it! The WH-10 isn't that complicated, it's just going to be tricky to get everything working if you've never done this before. You're going to have to either do your own layout and make a pc board or build it on perfboard, and that alone stops some beginners dead in their tracks. It's also not a well-known popular DIY build like the TubeScreamer or the UniVibe, so it may be harder to get help debugging it when you run into problems. So long as you know all that, and you're prepared to live with it, have at it. Best of luck, you may want to take a look at the Technology of Wah Pedals article at Geofex.com so you know a little more about what does what.