Worm holes!

hi..

i dont see your pic..

i think worm hole is no matter.

my new guitar's back is maple. and it is rot.. and duty black color..

and neck material wood have 2 worm hole..

but it is no matter for use guitar..

i think look good is not need ...

only guitar is need it's sound..

i think look's good is guitar's bonus option..

8.jpg

18coko.jpg

This happened to me on a piece of spalted maple, but in that case it didn't matter if the holes showed thru because it was part of the "character" of the piece. I filled the smallest ones with CA, one large one with clear epoxy, but then they ended up being covered with sanding sealer and clear-coated.

I would go with a mixture of your mahogany sawdust and clear epoxy; even if the epoxy doesn't take the stain, if you have enough sawdust in the mix, that will soak up the stain and I think it would work. You might try different options on a piece of scrap first though.

I second the clear epoxy w/ sawdust, at least you will have a color match then you can experiment with trying to match up the grain. Those yellow or white glues (titebond is white, isn't it?) mixed w/ dust will result in a lighter shade. You will wind up with tan colored dots on the guitar.

take whatever clear finish your gonna use, be it polyu lacquer epoxy or whatever mix it with some fine sawdust, what you get from sanding, best way is to take a belt sander or palm sander with a bag on it and use that dust, dont use sawdust from a saw its too big and chunky, mix the stuff not that much finish tho so that it like balls up so as it looks not wet if its wet you have too much finish and not enough dust, use that as ur body filler itll match the wood your using perfectly cuz its the same wood and it accepts stain and what not the same as ur body will

MzI

Just thought I'd point out that Brian May's guitar was a mahogony swiss cheese and it seems to be fairing well

:D