setting intonation

i'm having a little trouble understanding how to set the intonation on my guitar. I've been playing off and on now for about 15 years and this is the first time I've tried to do this. It's also the first time I've used a tuner. Anyways I hope someone can help.

OK, when you check the string on the 12th fret and it's either flat or sharp, do you adjust the saddle until it's tuned correctly and then tune /check the open string OR do you just turn the saddle slightly and then tune/ check the open string until the octave is right when you recheck it.

I've been doing it the first way I explained and it seems like I've been endlessly going back and forth.

Just remember the basic rule that shorter strings produce a higher pitch. Tune the open string dead on with your tuner, then fret at the 12th fret. If it's too high, then it's too short while fretted, and you need to move your saddle back to make the string longer. After moving the saddle, tune the open string to proper pitch again and see where you're 12th fret note comes in.