vintage noiseless (PLEASE HELP)

jch4v

Hello everyone,

I just bought a "new" set of Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups from some "Licensed Fender Dealer" on eBay. They came in today and look ok, though I have a few questions!

1. There are all these tiny bits of wax crumbs all over them (on the back and on the wires). Is that normal? Should I be worried?

2. All of the wires are the same. Black and white. Ususally one has a yellow wire. Does it matter which ones I put in which positions? Or, did the guy not give me one of the positions? Is there a way of telling which go where?

3. They came with some "special" noiseless pots. Are these any good, or should I get some better ones. If I should get better ones, which should I get.

I know that these are a lot of questions. I am still really new to all of this!

Thanks

John

1. There are all these tiny bits of wax crumbs all over them (on the back and on the wires). Is that normal? Should I be worried?

It is normal. The pickups are wax potted (dipped in wax) to eliminate noise.

2. All of the wires are the same. Black and white. Ususally one has a yellow wire. Does it matter which ones I put in which positions? Or, did the guy not give me one of the positions? Is there a way of telling which go where?

Start here for wiring info. Find your pickups and guitar and follow the links.

Guitar Electronics

3. They came with some "special" noiseless pots. Are these any good, or should I get some better ones. If I should get better ones, which should I get.

The pots should be good. As far as noiseless.......The only way to tell is to install them. If they are new they shouldn't have any crackle or noise in them and should work fine. If you do replace them either use pots of the same value or check before changing values (ohms) because you can affect several things by going to different values, especially in your tone pot.

Good Luck!!