hide glue

i've noticed recently a couple of brands of hide glue in a squeeze bottle. has anyone had any experience with them and is there any practical advantage to them over a good brand of carpenter's glue?

Essentially hide glue was used because that's what was available before aliphatic resin (carpenter's) wood glues. It is still prefered in the violin community for it's ability to easily disassemble an instrument with a hot knife. I think that is it's main benefit over carpenter's wood glue although there is some definite controversy over it's tonal superiority. Hide glue dries hard and brittle whereas the carpernter's glue dries more flexible. Hide glue is said to be stronger as well (I never tested it). Also I am not sure that the bottled hide glue is of the same quality as the stuff you mix and heat with water but it is used in the same way.

thanks for the input. now that you mention it i do remember reading somewhere about the ease with which fretboards and such could be removed with the hide glue. i'm perfectly happy with my carpenters glue. i was just curious.

thanks again

The stuff they add to bottled hide glue to keep it liquid in the bottle also prevents it from fully hardening when you use it. I used to work with a guy who used it exclusively because he didn't know how to use the real thing, and I ended up redoing most of the violin necks he'd try to reglue because they'd pull off after a week.

thanks for the heads up. i'd be using it for repairs if i used it at all and i don't need a bunch of customers coming back with bridges that flew off in the middle of a gig. although that is a comical picture. :D

the regular hide glue is easy to use.. just heat some water and put it in a bowl.. then put some glue flakes and a drop of water into a small glass and put it in the bowl. let it be a while and there you go!

no need to buy the liquid stuff.. :D

it's also very cheap.

Edited by samoht