pickup routing

I am presently building a guitar. I aquired the body and neck off of ebay, both of which are Warmoth products. The neck is flame maple with a birdseye maple finger board and the body is a solid maple solist. the problem that i am having is that it was factory routed for a slanted humbucker in the bridge and the former owner tried to route a single coil in the neck but didnt do a good job. After recieving the body i stripped it and plugged the single coil hole with a solid piece of maple, however i still want the single coil in the neck so does anyone have any information on locating and routing the single coil in the neck. any information that anyone has will be greatly appericiated.

Mount the neck, Taking a straight edge down both sides of the neck, mark lines that will locate the outter reaches of your pickup route, then take a template or pickup cover and place it where you want it and draw a line around that, then mount your template and route it out. Next you'll need a long drill to get your wiring access from one pickup hole to the next.

Perry,

Thanks for the reply. I dont know why I didnt think of it my self. Up until now I have only assembled guitars. This is the first true modification of a body that I will be doing. If you would like to see my previous project it can be viewed in the gallery at Warmoth.com. It is in the strat section. Its the black strat with the red and yellow dragon airbrushed on it. Feel free to give me your thoughts.

You're going to have to be careful around your plug, because the router might mess it up. I've had some pretty bad screw-ups when routing between woods. Maybe it's just my router, or my blade or something, but you may have trouble

I like the strat david. That Dragon Kills! On to the topic at hand, The idea of what I shoulda did ALWAYS comes to you After somebody mentions it, Huh?

Back in the day I had an Ibanez Roadstar II with Cherry Sunburst and a single HB and Wanted to put a single coil in at the neck and not knowing what I was doing, Routed it out, using a template I cut out and it came out perfect.

Suprised me to no end. I drilled a hole with one of those long drill bits from the neck pocket to the HB pocket and ran my wires thru that, mounted a mini toggle and strat jack plate and a single coil mounting ring and I was a happy boy.

Perry,

Thanks for the kudos, in addition to the info on drilling the wire routing hole. I have been giving alot of thought as to how I was going to go about it and once again you have come to my rescue. I hope to be finished with my current project in the relative near future at which point I will have pictures and a discription posted on Warmoth's website. My plans for finishing the body is to paint it a light cream or antique white and then have a pin and ink mural done on top of that and cover it with about seven to ten coats of clear, wet sand and buff. The only problem is that I dont have a mural in mind yet. I was thinking of something along the lines of the George Lynch "Snakes and Swords" ESP. Any ideas that anyone has would be helpful.

Cyc, Take you're time with it. It'll come to you what to use for the graphix.

I'm in Ohio and the humidity is bad in the summer & I can't spray inside so I'm heading into the painting season for myself and need to get my poop in a group and start painting soon. My problem is I have 4 projects going right now and have 2 distribute my time equally or they'll never get done.

Perry,

you wana talk about humidity issues, Im in south Louisiana. The humidity around here is almost at a constant 70%, however the company I work for has a paint booth that I use on ocasion to achieve my needs. As far as the graphix go I was thinking about going to local Tattoo shops and checking out their art work for ideas.