Mickey Baker Jazz/ Steely Dan "chord Shapes"

rick_here

It's a kind of "niche" in the history of guitar playing; that crossover between Jazz & Rock 'n Roll....Huh? (you must be saying).

It's simple enuf that a Beginner just beyond the beginning stages can understand it, at least in theory. I haven't mastered any of what follows but am (I think) an "intermediate" level guitarist....someone who can't speed-read regular notation but who can "jam" with just about anyone. I can (very slowly) transcribe from piano to guitar but "sight-reading" is well beyond my ability.

The 70's Jazz-Rock-Fusion band Steely Dan kind of utililized (very well) certain basic guitar "chord-shapes" to create their unique sounds. Jimi Hendrix, I would say, also employed similar guitar-playing methodologies. He did that "best/better" than anyone else thus far, (imo-again) within the Purely-Rock-Music-Realm (but, let's see how he did that/ theory-wise)???

...I still wonder if he knew if he really-contemplated his music, "theory-wise"....

Here's a Link:

Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar, Book One

This Link was an interjection, btw. I have both books (One & Two) but haven't been playing much for a while....just now getting back into it. What we have here is Mickey Baker's books which are essentially, ummmm, just Great! for anyone who plays rock or jazz guitar today regardless of what style or genre' yer into (yer age & so-forth).

Book One begins with "tab" (and also standard) notation on How To: Do (Jazz) Chord-Substitutes. Playing standard guitar chords "jazzy-diff-Cooley" so to speak. Variety would be the Key-Word here. But I never really got thru (even) Book One all the way so I'll leave it at that (6 bucks, each book/ Be Advised!!!)....

From my understanding the members of Steely Dan (band-members, writers, guitarists/musicians) became & were familiar with what Mickey Baker was into and embellished on that from others who were hip to what was Happenin...that "Scene," as we used to say Back In The Day. I've read article/interviews with Walter Becker, Steely Dan's guitarist, recalling that he followed-up with this musical-situation, finding a teacher who could show him this stuff.

Getting back to simplicity (just over the horizon of Rank-Beginner); what Steely Dan illlustrated oh-so-very-well was the "alternate-root" for any given chord. Playing a C-chord with a D-root (or we could say, the "bass" (lowest) note).

Mickey Baker's books covers this, plus other stuff.

Whether you like Steely Dan (have even heard of them, or not); I'd recommend getting some of their "guitar books" as they have all chords in Diagram (or Tab) form, noting each & every step. Ya might need some of their "best of/ greatest hits" cd's too....if yer an essential: By-Ear-Player (as I am).

The possibilities are virtually endless....and applicable to any style of music!!!

Edited by rick_here

KennethB-

I've kinda been busy with some other stuff.

And am just coming out of a "not-playing much" time period. (It's been a few years since I've played "regularly," if much at all)....

So since I'm a non-reader, even though I can very slowly transcribe from piano to guitar; I'm gonna dig up my Mickey Baker Books and start over. Actually, I never made it thru Book Two.

Though this is sort of embarrassing to say; I have several Theory Books for both just "music" and for guitar. They've been in a box for the last 3 years from the last time I moved...(here).

I'm wondering if we should start a new thread on "Theory (Scales/ Exercises)" or something? Thanks for that tip on the Arnie Berle Books. But I can't even remember what I have stored in the closet!!!

Hmmmmm,

:D

rick

><>