Dremel Attachments

samoht

i need to build a mini duplicarver, a router base and a purfling/binding slot cutter that could be used with a dremel (copy).. the problem is i don't know what the threads are on the part that i'd attach these to.. i assume they're not metric and i may have trouble finding the correct size tools for threading and drilling the holes into some aluminum pieces. if someone knows.. please let me know.

i'm doing this because i have NO money, so don't tell me to buy the stew mac stuff.

i hope some of you understood what i tried to say.. too difficult for my english :D

Well, "no money" will make it tough to get such a tap. I recently bought one when I was in Germany, and it cost the equivalent of about $25.00 US dollars. And it doesn't end there, I also bought the proper drill bit for that tap which was around $18.00. The tap is metric M20x2, which is the perfect match for a real USA made Dremel ( I read about it on MMF, and it checked out after I matched up the screw piece from my Dremel to the tap). The proper drill bit for that tap is 18mm.

I know already that my 'King Craft' cheap Dremel copy does not have the same size threads on the end.

And I don't know about the Craftsman and B&D Dremel copies.

Also, someone said they used an imperial tap (3/4 something), which is not a perfect match, but they said it was close enough, and made for a snug fit, since the threads don't match up perfectly. How true that is, I don't know.

This might be a stupid idea... but, I'll just put it out there.

Since you're dealing with a hand held tool (limited weight, torque, etc.), you could "cast" threads with a filled epoxy like JB-Weld. You could drill an oversided hole in a piece of wood as the outer mold. You'd need some kind of barrier that the epoxy won't stick to... a thin coat of grease. Plug the end of the Dremel, coat the threads of grease or maybe one layer of teflon tape. Whatever you use, test it first to make sure don't ruin your Dremel. Fixture the Dremel to keep it upright and then mix and pour in the JB-weld.

Once it's cured, disassemble it. Sand the outside of the epoxy bushing, so you can glue it into a base. I'm not sure if the JB-Weld is strong enough for you to torque down the threads. Give it a try. If it fails, you might try making a saw cut through the bushing and the base it's glued into and make the attachment into a pinch clamp. Either way, you should probably just use the bushing to locate the end of the Dremel and have another clamp to secure the whole tool.

If you're trying to do everything on the cheap, you could make the base, and most everything else, out of wood.