String-through Holes

Just discovered yesterday that the throat on my 9" drill press is not deep enough to drill the through-body string holes on my tele body. Just wondering if there are any hand-tool options or tips for getting these drilled through cleanly without ponying up another $180 bucks for a 12" press.

Thanks

Hi mate,

I don't have a drill press full stop! I don't really have room for one so I did a search for options and came up with this:

Wolfcraft thingy!

A pdf can be downloaded from the site for more details.

Genbloke

ps I havn't tried one of these yet so I can't vouch on it being any good. I have tried other wolfcraft stuff before and I think the quality is OK. They are more DIY that industrial build quality.

Another option is to make a template for the holes you want to drill using a piece of maple or other hardwood on the drill press. This guaruntees the holes are square and aligned properly, then mount this piece of wood to your Tele body with clamps and drill the holes with your hand drill.

I think someone else here did this. I believe it was Guitarfrenzy in his Making of a Strat tutorial. Here is a link to what I am talking about. I think its a simple and inexpensive way around this particular obstacle.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...pic=9113&st=135

Another option is to make a template for the holes you want to drill using a piece of maple or other hardwood on the drill press. This guaruntees the holes are square and aligned properly, then mount this piece of wood to your Tele body with clamps and drill the holes with your hand drill.

I have tried this method and it works quite well. :D