Routing

If you live in the U.S., find your local Sears Parts, Service, and Outlet center. It's usually not listed, so you may have to call a regular store to find out where it is. They usually have all sorts of good rebuilt power tools for a cheap price, especially routers. Try local rental companies, too.

I bought a Chicago Tools 1 3/4 hp plunge router from Harbor Freight Tools for $40.00. (it was on sale at the time, but I think this model is only $49.00 regularly) Most of Harbor Freights tools are pretty cheap (as in qualtiy anyway) but like yourself, I was just wanting to get something I could use to start my foray into guitar building without breaing the bank.

Down the road I will invest in something better and more durable, but this works for now.

I highly recommend auctions if you have the time to invest. I have a wife and kids so I have to be very picky about which auctions I can attend. But here's an example of what great deals you can find. A couple of weeks ago I went to an auction at a millwork place that was going out of business. I scored a Porter Cable 690 router with a 1/2 inch shank Freud round-bottom bit already in it and a second replacement motor (needs only new brushes) for $60. I also bought 3 nice Jorgensen 18 inch bar clamps, 2 outfeed rollers on stands, various carpenters squares and an entire trunk full of hardwood shorts (maple/cherry/oak/hickory all around 36 inches long). I walked out of that place with a car load of stuff for $120!!!

I am going to an auction this weekend to bid on a PRS! B) I'll let you all know if I win it. Wish me luck! :D

Edited by toddler68

Toddler, buddy - where do you find out about these auctions?

Well, there are numerous ways. Here (Ohio) we have a weekly publication called the Tradin' Post. It's got the usual classified ads (autos, appliances, musical instruments, etc.) but it also has an auction section which lists all the auctions in the area over the next week/month or whatever. The auction companies who list or advertise in the Tradin' Post usually have websites as well. I visit those too to keep up to date. They can be estate auctions (residential homes and their contents) or business auctions. The auction I went to this past weekend was a municipal auction. These are usually confiscated police inventory. You never know what you'll find at one of these.