Telecaster Insanity

Drak

Well, a lot of the WOD feedstock was for several reasons:

I try strange woods in strange ways, since I have nothing to lose, I'm always willing to go out on a limb and give something weird a shot, or try a process or a color combination or a wood or a pattern that is something off the beaten path.

And a result of any type of experimenting is that you wind up with a lot of things that didn't work, that's just a natural byproduct of experimentation, but hopefully you find a few new things along the way that were worth all the bother, things you don't see every day out there. That's what I'm sort of after.

So that's why it seems like I toss a lot of stuff, because it was no more than a hairbrained idea in the first place, and I know if I did it once, I can always do it again, so I'm always willing to go the high risk route, THAT's what I'm in it for, not money, but the experimentation of it all, that stuff is BIG TIME FUN!

...so to toss a fair amount out is, to me, totally normal, so it doesn't bother me at all, except a few of them that were pretty cool and I wish had worked out.

But I think over time far fewer actually get tossed now.

Take little Blanco El Diablo for example. Wanna know why I was going to toss it?

Because after I carved it, the overall depth, to me, of the uncarved portion was a little thin. I should have realized it beforehand, and I could have made it a regular Tele had I not carved it, but I wanted to experiment with the carving and steer head and all that, so the things I learned from doing it are always with me, I can repeat that stuff now anytime, and the guitar body is just a tad too eh, 'smallish' for me now, although it would be fine for most others, especially someone who is not a real big guy it would be perfect actually.

So I got tons of learning out of building that body, things that are with me now, and I don't need to complete that guitar to get any kind of satisfaction out of it, I already got the satisfaction in learning what I did by the experimental things I did to it.

It's kinda like playing the lottery, you may dump a lot of one dollar bills out for a long time, but the one day you hit the big one, it was -all- worth it. But ya gotta play to win, and be willing to lose a lot of the time, that's part of the game.

That's the way I look at it. I don't need to actually complete the guitar to get satisfaction out of it. I know I can complete a guitar, there's no big challenge in that department, the challenge for me lies in other areas. And it is about new challenges, not quantity of completed guitars for me.

Also, it's not cheap to finish even one guitar, and I -always- have my eye on the bottom line ($$$'s). So if I can build a strange whack job body and take the experience out of that, some strange new thing I learned, why follow thru and spend a lot of money just to finish it? That can get real expensive.

That's why I'm so picky about the ones that make it all the way, those are the ones I am completely flipping out over, and am willing to spend the additional money on hardware and parts to complete it.

The guitars that I have completed and are still with me had to make it thru a series of steps and judgements every step of the way, and I am a harsh critic of my own work, fun tho it is. So the ones I have, you better believe I love them, and would never remotely think of selling any of my brood to anyone for any amount.

Dig? :D

Drak's mentality totally hits the nail on the head for me. I've only recently started work on my first born after reading this forum for close to six months collecting ideas and information. While I've never completed a guitar in it's entirty, I'm much less concerned with going through to completion than I am with simply experimenting and attempting to come up with shapes, lines, and colors that suit my odd aesthetic taste. To hear something like that come out of an experienced builder like Drak just makes my day.

Well said Drak! :D

Actually, it is a real-time validation scenario of the true nature of all things.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, Wall of Death, an Estwing hammer, and a few Cherrybombs later, more ashes and more dust.

Returning to the Earth what was taken from the Earth, with grace and gratitude.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

:DB):D

I have been asked that before, and the answer is still the same:

This is a family oriented site, the carnage, gore, and mayhem I do not bother to clean up, and it is unfit and unwholesome for family viewing at any level.

It fits the Castle surroundings just fine tho, doesn't bother me a bit. :D