Parallel -> Series

StratDudeDan

k, i lost a pickup on my strat (coil broke, don't feel like fixing it, waiting for the money to get a new set of pups i wanted anyway) so i'm trying to figure out a new way to wire it.

now, most humbuckers end up getting wired in series, correct? they have two oppositely wound coils that the signal is run through one after the other.

i would basically like to do this using my two single coils remaining on my strat. no switches. nothing but a volume knob in the line. not even tone.

so, here's my idea, give me a virtual slap if i'm wrong:

take the lead of bridge pup (referred to as B from now on) and connect it to the ground of mid pup (M). take the lead of M and wire to one side of the volume pot. take the ground of B and solder it to the back of the pot, which is jumped to the other side of the volume pot.

connect a .022uF cap coming out of the wiper of the pot, then to the tip of the jack. the ground will be jumped to the bridge via the springs in the back, as well as connected to the ground on the jack.

i wired it this way, plugged it in, and got the most god-awful hum i've heard out of the strat ever. i also connected the wrong side of the volume pot to the guitar, so it was "on" while the knob was at zero, and off when i turned it up, which i think i'd like to keep.

however, this hum issue, i'd like to get rid of. would it be possible to instead wire it lead-to-lead (the mid is already wound oppositely so i didn't think i neede to) in order to alleviate this issue? or ground-to-ground? if so, which ground/lead do i connect to where?

thanks much for the help in advance!

EDIT - was for a grammatical error and two spelling issues. sorry, that just bugs me and people would wonder why the "edit line" was there if i didn't say something...

Edited by StratDudeDan

Hmm, I'll not get into details of the wiring method. Looks like u are using two singlecoils (since ur humbucker is broken, so, for me at least, there's no need of connecting him if it doesn't work). I have a guitar (that I made myself) with two singlecoils, wich I connected in parallel mode. I have some "hiss" on the background. You hum may be causing because of one of these:

1. the hum gets louder when you touch the bridge or the strings? If yes, then take of the wire that leads to the bridge, just cut it off on the middle of the way :D

2. the hum is there (and loud) touching or not the bridge? Then check the wiring.

3. the hum is very low and dissapear when you touch any metal piece in contact with the volume pot? Try grounding it someway.

Hope it helps. Hey, if u get anyway of taking off the hum, send me a PM, ok B) . c ya!

well, i have yet to allieviate the hum. i wired it in series with one pup's lead to the other pup's ground, ground to ground, and lead to lead. i still cannot eliminate the hum.

i DO know that it's ground related, however...'cause when i touch the bridge, it goes away. well, at least gets A LOT quieter. i can still hear it when my gain is cranked (moreso than i usually can, i like a little fuzz every now and then).

tell you what, i'll put together a schematic and post it, then perhaps someone can tell me what's wrong with this and why it could be doing this, 'cause yes, everything is grounded properly. i even ran a jumper wire from my bridge directly to the nut on the jack, so i know that that's not where the problem lies.

EDIT -

the schematic:

http://fullservesite.com/stratomagic/stuff/untitled

Edited by StratDudeDan

already dug up everything they had to offer. no avail still. very confused...

thinking i'm just gonna build a box to filter out that frequency.

looking already.