Threaded Inserts For Bolt-on Neck

Hi, what size bolts / inserts should be used for a bolt on neck? I have an idea to use M5 (5mm) bolts as that is the closest in size the screws that are normally used. I searched the forum and it seems some people are using differant sizes, I dont realy understand the american sizes anyway. What is 8-32? Or 10-24?

cheers :D

chris

5mm is slightly less than 3/16" and should be more than adequate. the standard scew for a bolt on using a neck plate is just over 4mm.

I've used 1/4"-20 recently and loved them ... since that seems to tbe the common cabinetry side. It was also the perfect fit for a Silverton archtop for which I

was building a neck.

However, I'm searching to use something smaller to try (e.g., 8-32) on some electrics I'm working on. Until then, I've gone back to using wood screws (because the 1/4-20 don't fit neck ferrules)

-- joe

I'm using 1/4-20 on my tele. My dad had them already is the only reason I used something so big. Especially since they didn't fit the neck ferrules as mentioned above. The hole in the ferrule is 1/4" so at first I tapped a 1/4-20 thread in the ferrule. But then the threads in it didn't line up with the threads in the insert so I just filed the hole bigger. It's working great now. One thing is that it's fairly difficult to get everything aligned perfectly unless you drill the hole through the body and neck at the same time. I drilled the body (from the neck pocket side) first, then marked on the neck and drilled. It took a lot of screwing around to get everything right. I'm happier with this now, than I am with wood screws. It was worth the extra work. Speaking of the tele, it's almost done :D. I should have it finished this weekend except for finishing.