Fixed Bridge Grounding

GREGMW

Sorry ,I stuck this in my previous post but I thought I might get a quicker responce as a new thread.

How do you ground a fixed bridge? I ran a wire and put it between the body and the bridge.

TIA

I think you did the right thing. Did you drill a hole into the control cavity so you could use the common ground between all your components? Here is the hole I did on my fixed brige guitar:

Bridge%20and%20Ground%20holes.jpg

You can see the angled groundwire hole just above the six string-through holes. I used an extra long drill bit and angled it into the control cavity. I hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Mike.

The wire is held in place by the pressure of the bridge being screwed down on top of it. No need to attempt soldering it to the bridge or anything, but if it's stranded wire, it might be a good idea to tin the end of the wire.

Edited by Kyle Cavanaugh

Hey Greg,

I found your other post after I posted in this thread so now I see where you are coming from with this question (you have a pre-existing ground problem). In his book, Melvyn Hiscock says you can just pull the wire through the hole and then just let it lay against the body and trap it there as you screw down the bridge. In theory this should work fine. If, however, you want to make sure that you have a good contact you might want to solder the wire down. This shouldn't be any harder than sodering a groundwire to a tremolo claw. Maybe just give it a try, eh? Can't hurt. Is your bridge painted at all? That might affect the grounding properties of the bridge assembly as well. I wonder what the guys in the electronics area would say? If you post over there, I'll follow the thread with you because now I'm curious as well.

Best Regards,

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

Yes,I posted this in the wrong forum ,but Is OK because Its interesting to get all the views.

The bridge is Chrome and I have a good circuit back to ground from the bridge ,using a multi meter.

I am going to re do all of the earths to see if I have a bad joint somewhere.

I let you know how I go.

Cheers

Greg