Saw Questions

Mickguard

I would lay down some duct tape, mark out your cuts and cut with a Skilsaw. Duct tape will leave a residue but you will be doing lots of sanding anyway. :D I've cut out bodies w/ a jigsaw but always wind up with angled edges. They are hard to control, too much flex in the blade. Using aluminum guides might just wear down the teeth of your jigsaw blade.

Edited by Southpa

Sure, no side stress applied to the blade so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, B) ! I was thinking you were planning to put the aluminum above and below your cutline, but I see what you are up to. Let us know how it turns out. :D

Edited by Southpa

Hey, I love the Bocaster. The single cutaway Bo Diddley... really cool idea.

The dual guides with the jigsaw will probably work. The problem with jigsaws are that the blades are flexible. As they work through changes in the grain there'll be a tendency for the blade to wander a bit. Even with the guides, it might bind.

If you have access to a handsaw and a hand plane, you ought to give that a try. Less noise, a chance to aquire/improve some skills, and planing is pretty fun once you get the blade sharp and the plane tuned.