Filling A "ding" In The Binding

Skr4ped

I'm working on a LP project right now, with a bound neck and headstock. I got the headstock bound, and it looked decent for my first binding job, and I move on to routing the channel for the neck binding. Well, when I got the end of the fretboard, I slipped. I took a chunk of binding out of the headstock. It would be very difficult to remove this particular piece, and replace it without a visible gap, because it tapers of towards the fretboard at one end, and is overlapped by another piece of binding at the other. Does anyone know of a way to fill this gap? I've though about using epoxy and some dust from my remaining binding, but I was wondering if there was a better way.

Assuming you have plastic binding, take a small scrap of leftover binding and apply acetone. This will soften the binding. When it has gotten gooey, put it onto the dented area and let it set up. Once it hardens, you can trim, scrape or sand to make it flush. You can do some trial sampling on your scrap before working on the actual guitar.

Assuming you have plastic binding, take a small scrap of leftover binding and apply acetone. This will soften the binding. When it has gotten gooey, put it onto the dented area and let it set up. Once it hardens, you can trim, scrape or sand to make it flush. You can do some trial sampling on your scrap before working on the actual guitar.

Yea, I should have mentioned it's plastic binding. I'll try that, thanks.