Pickup Question

Hello,

I play alot of chords/strumming, I have a cheap guitar with a bridge pickup that sounds awfull playing anything but lead. I am building a guitar from scratch and I am wanting to know where to mount and what type of pickup for strumming/chords.

Thanks

Tommy

Rhythm guitar traditionally uses a pickup butted up as close to the neck as is possible. As for tone, the options are endless. You don't want too hot a pickup, and the choice between single coil and humbucker is a matter of personal taste. Figure out what tone you want exactly, and it'll be easier for people to give you opinions on specific pickups.

On a very different note, if you want a more acoustic-sounding strum tone, consider a piezo pickup in the bridge.

Does the #of ohms in a hb decide what position it goes in? I have never been able to figure it out, I have seen them listed differently like on Ebay. What # of ohms do I want for a neck pu and can I get one that splits also for differing tones? If I put a piezo in the bridge dont need some type of EQ?

Tommy

Edited by woodsman1031

Yes, the DC resistance determines the output. Take for instance, the screaming hot Dimarzio X2N, DC Resistance 14.5K. Then look at the Dimarzio PAF, with a resistance of 8.09K. Then look at a strat single coil, with an output of 5.75K. That should give you a good idea of the range of outputs there are.

Some pickups are specifically labeled "neck" and "bridge", and the difference is primarily their output (higher at the bridge). That said, it is my belief that any pickup can be used in either position depending on the tone you want.

As for coil tapping, that can be done with any 4-conductor pickup. You just have to wire it up correctly. You can't do it, however with a pickup like an EMG which has a built in preamp, and 3 wires: hot, ground, and power. THey do, however, sell a pickup (the 89?) that has both a humbucker and a single coil, and allows you to use either, giving you the same effect as coil splitting.

As for piezo, I don't know what electronics or mixing are necessary. You'll want a separate volume for its final output, so you can blend it in as necessary, or just use it by itself.