Mother Of Pearl Safety

renablistic

Hello my friends. Posting for my first time in months. Anyhow, over the summer I had a bunch of mother of pearl sitting around, and my girlfriend's birthdya was coming up, and she has an affinity for mother of pearl. So I made her a necklace pendant in the shape of a heart with her initials inside. It came out REALLY NICE. Near perfect. In fact, she's wearing it at this moment (I'm in the school library and she's sitting across te room). Anyhow, even after we had a very bad break-up, she still wears cause it's so awesome...

But the rammifications of making this were huge. Right after I finished making the pendant, I developed a severe sickness. I had a 104-107 degree fever, vomiting, cold sweats, involuntary and uncontrollable shaking, and very difficult breathing. This lasted for a week, but the difficult breathing and a cough lasted for about a month afterwards. Anyhow, since then I've vowed never to touch mother of pearl ever again, and gone through a few girlfriends.

But right now I'm dating this amazing girl, truly amazing. And I wanna do something really nice for her for christmas. And making her a pendant is the best I can think of. She plays guitar in a big local band, and loves guitars, and loves the color white, and etc. so I think she would like this gift very much. So I'm going to risk making another pendant. But this time, I'm not going to do it in a room with no windows, the doors closed, the fan on, and no mouh protection. As I think that is where I went wrong.

So anyhow, what safety precautions should I take, exactly when dremeling/sawing/sanding MOP?

Thanks,

John

You want to work with a vacuum source near your work area. The dust comes out very very fine and can travel quite a distance so vacuum up as you cut so it won't affect anyone else in the house. And make sure you wear one of these while you cut. I have 2 and actually use them quite frequently on and off the job for painting, palm sanding paint, wood, bondo etc. I've worked alongside a lot of people who think they can get by without breathing protection. I guess they figure they are some kinda hero, lol. When you get home at the end of the day and blow your nose...well, you'll see what I mean. What is in your nose and sinuses is also in your lungs.

I sincerely don't think pearl dust is what got you so ill the first time around. Of course I could be very wrong as well.

Yes pearl dust is toxic, yes you definitly need to waer a VERY high quality respirator (I use a $75.00 version myself, but I cut all the time), and you need a suction of some type taking the dust away from the cutting. This also helps you cut better, as the pattern remains dust free while cutting, as well as aiding with heath benefits.

Pearl dust builds up in the lungs over time causing the disease silicosis. Many masonary workers used to get this etc.. before better hygene methods were implemented.

It takes YEARS to build up in most cases, almost 40 or more depending on the environment.

Some people think abalone releases poison gas when cut with water, but there has been no actual scientific proof of this in my understanding.

The most nasty stuff in my opinion is the CA glue. Just one whiff of it makes my eyes tear, and gives me flue like symptoms. I hate it, but still use it because it's the best for my technique. I only use it with the carbon packed mask, and fan.

Bottom line- stay away from the dust, be extremely careful around the glue, and you'll be fine.

Craig L