Painting Pickguard

Ton

Hello,

I've got a black Ibanez GRX40 and I would like to paint the pickguard red.

How am I gonna do that?

How do I prepare the pickguard, so the paint will last. (I don't want to scratch everything of in the first week!)

What kind of paint do I need?

Thanks!!

First off all, you will need sandpapers in grits of 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000. Make sure its wet/dry. You will need a primer, color and clear coat. You can usually pick them up from auto-stores. Dupli-Color is a favorite, just dont use krylon. any paint from a can works tho. Sand the thole front of the pickgaurd with 400 wet sandpaper. Make sure you dont leave any shiny spots. Next spray a couple light mist's of primer. Then you can start to go a little heavier with the primers until its all gray or whatever color is used in the primer stage. If you have a lot of orange peel(rough surface) sand it with 600 wet. Make sure its flat. Next spray the red using the same techiniques as the primer. Do a couple more coats of the red tho, just because its a color. Once you're done with red, sand it with 600grit to make sure its smooth. Spray your clear coats and make sure to do A LOT of coats. Your pickgaurd is gunna get picked a lot, so you want a nice thick coat. If you want it shiny, go to the polishing tutorial here:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1723

I hope that answer's your questions.

Also, adhesion promoter is a good idea to get, but i have never used it.

I painted the pickgaurd on this guitar w/o adhesion promoter, and its fine:

DSC00694.jpg

See ya!

Chris :D

Thank you, man!!

I've asked the same question on a Dutch site and the dude told my exactly the same, but not about the coat. But thats probably so that I don't scratch all the paint of it?

I'm gonna buy the stuff tomorow! And I'm gonna buy 2 gold Fender Lace Sensors! My guitar will look and sound like new!! :D

EDIT: btw, have you got a picture of that guitar from above?

Edited by Ton

No problem man.

The clear coat is if you want to polish it. Its not required but i would do it for protection and gloss.

What do you mean by do you have a picture of that guitar? Its in my original post :D

actually, all of your pictures including your avatar now say "phtotbucket. Bandwidth exceeded."

:DB)

I know i just saw it know. I uploaded the lasy of my space so i have to delete a few.

TBH, i think my avatar is cool now :D

EDIT: Okie Dokie, lets hope it works:

DSC00694.jpg

Edited by AlGeeEater

What do you mean by do you have a picture of that guitar? Its in my original post :D

Have you got a photo of that guitar from the top?

Hello,

How am I gonna do that?

How do I prepare the pickguard, so the paint will last. (I don't want to scratch everything of in the first week!)

Thanks!!

Hi,

Just curious...by why not have a new pickguard cut for you (or cut it yourself?). By the time you get done buying the paints and the sandpaper and all, you'll have spent just as much...

I think the red pickguard on the black guitar is a great idea, by the way...you going to paint the pickups too?

mickey

Hello,

How am I gonna do that?

Thanks!!

Hi,

Just curious...by why not have a new pickguard cut for you (or cut it yourself?). By the time you get done buying the paints and the sandpaper and all, you'll have spent just as much...

I think the red pickguard on the black guitar is a great idea, by the way...you going to paint the pickups too?

mickey

Hmm, I don't know if that looks very good. I think I first just paint the pickguard. And maybe I'll paint the knobs later! :D