Last Of The Batch Finished - 12 String Single Coil

mpeg2

12strfull.jpg

I wanted to build a 12 string 3-single coil guitar. I had a nice piece of Wenge (dark chocolate brown, with black grain). As usual, I chose a Carvin bolt on neck. I decided to use AP-11s (like the sound & the extra pole pieces would help with 12 strings). I found a nice 12 string bridge at Stew Mac. After pricing out the bits, I discoverd that buying a Bolt kit was only slightly more expensive than just the parts that I needed. I put the body & bridge aside (liked mine better).

I didn't want to put a plastic pickguard on a guitar like this, so made one with birdseye maple veneer laminated onto thin baltic birch ply. I ordered the neck with an unshaped headstock & managed to fit 12 tuners on it. Carvin was also able to install a preslotted 12 string nut on the neck. I put a layer of birdseye maple on the headstock, to match the pickguard.

Assembled & setup easily. It plays and sounds beautiful - IMHO, gives the "R" brand a run. It'll take a little getting used to - using a 6 string neck and putting 12 strings on it makes for a rather tight string spacing.

More (and better photos) at:

http://psip.home.comcast.net/12string.htm

Rich