Removing Scratchplate

Pillie

I'm new to guitar building. I thought id start small and just try to repair and improve an existing guitar, so i went and bought one from a car boot sale. I want to take it apart to see what parts needs replacing.

How do I go about removing the scratchplate (in particular, removing the pickup selector and volume/tone controls without damaging them or the guitar)?

How do I go about removing the scratchplate (in particular, removing the pickup selector and volume/tone controls without damaging them or the guitar)?

Usually there are screws. You unscrew them and lift the plate off. It often helps to take the strings off first. If the pickups and controls are mounted into the pickguard, they'll come off too...there'll probably be a ground connected to the bridge...leave that connected...

If the knobs have screws, unscrew them and take them off. If they don't, pull them off (you might end up breaking them anyway on an old guitar.

The pots have a nut that can be undone to remove them....etc. etc.

When unconnecting the pickup wires --I usually cut the wires themselves, about an inch or so from the pots. That way it's easier to reconnect the wires (you don't have to solder directly onto the pot and risk damaging it). I also label the wires so I know which pickup goes where.

It's not as delicate a process as you think. Just use ordinary care, that's all.