Using A Bass Pickup For A Fender Vi

Meegs666

i was wondering if it would be possible to use a bass pickup on a 30 inch scale guitar tuned one octave below standard. if so, could i put it under the pickguard or disguise it in a jazz master shell? also does anyone know what to use as polepieces on a fake pickup. ive seen people make fake pickups and ive wondered what you use for polepieces. this is gonna be like a jaguar with a 30 inch scale neck and fender VI strings, but i cant find pickups to use that will pickup the low tuning with the right balance and equilization.

Edited by Meegs666

If I understand you correctly, you're building a short scale 6 string bass tuned like a guitar?

A bass pickup will work fine, as you're essentially building a bass. Hiding it has the problem of losing volume and tone due to the distance between the strings and the pickup. Perhaps wooden pickup covers would work better.

This is what he's building.

Meegs, a pickup is simply a coil that makes a magnetic field. This field gets disturbed by your moving strings and picks up the sound that your strings make.

There's no balance or equalization in a coil.

I think people tend to get confused big time by all the pickup companies propaganda/mumbo-jumbo. I you want my personal advice just go for a strat or jaguar pickup, the string spacing is the same and believe me, the sound will be fine

On the other hand you can always make your own pickups, I made mine and they sound great. I even wrote up a little tutorial on it. Have a look here for my tutorial.

i agree with phil. bass vi is more of a baritone guitar tuned e to e one octave below a normal guitar. albeit sharing the same tuning as a bass, it is played more like a guitar and the tone is exactly between a bass and guitar. very good for creating texture within a song. robert smith of the cure uses the bass vi alot on their recordings.

pickup-wise, stay away from bass pickups. their bass response is too much for the bass vi. you would want something clearer in order not to turn it to mud. alnico 5 strat and jaguar pickups are your best bet.

dani

hey meegs,

if you are intend on getting the jag pups, don't forget the the steel keeper. the steel keeper has a serrated-edge to increase the magnet flux, increase output and reduce hum. you may find these hard to get hold of. do bear in mind that jag pups will not fit a pickguard routed for strat pups.

dani