measureing problems?

ok so heres the deal, i bought the no sweat fret caculator from stew mac. its really cool but here is my problem. the measurements in inches are in tenths, for example the first fret at 1.933". now i have a ruler that has tenths but it does not have .05s so i dont think i can get to accurate with it B)

im doing a 25" scale should i just convert to metric? or is there a mathmatical formula that can change tenths to 16ths or 32nds? i knew i shouldve payed more attention in math class! any help would be greatly apprietiated as i plan on making the fret board tommorow.

thanks,rye :D

The problem lies in that 32's are not accurate enough for fret slotting. 1/32" is equal to .03125. That is a LONG way to be out on frets. Measuring frets with a ruler isn't a wonderful idea. The BEST bang for the buck out there is Stewart Macdonalds fret scale ruler, it marks off 24 3/4", 25", 25.4" and 25 1/2" scale lengths all on one ruler.

If you had a steel straightedge that marked out in 1/64th's you MIGHT be able to come close enough, but that is still .016ish.

The only way to really change what you are wanting to do would be to make a fraction and reduce it over and over.

Unfortunately, I suspect that you won't find many of your measurements will reduce very well or very low.

You can come close though

15/16 = .9375

Just remember that 1/32 is equal to .03125, 1/16 = .0625, and you can add them together and come close.

1.933 is very close to 1 15/16.

thanks, yeh i know a 32 isnt accurate enough, maybe i should just get the ruler from stewmac. i was planning on eventualy getting it but i jsut havent got the cash right now. oh well i'll see what i can lay out on the wood, and then i can compair it to another 25 in fret board i bought. then i can see how acurate i could get before i start cutting. thanks for your help though

if you have a 25" scale slotted fretboard, the easiest way to mark your new board out is to just use it as a fret scale rule.

The other thing I suggest is, get a long piece of Plexiglass, or aluminum or something, and make your own fretscale rule. I pair of calipers would be very helpful, maybe there is a place you can borrow a pair from. Anyway, mark everything off on the piece of plexi and then you have a self made fret scale :D

yeh thats probably what i'll do , i have the plexi glass. next week i''m having a freind who has a machine shop make me my templates out of aluminum maybe i will just wait til then and have him do it cause hes got all the proper tools to measure that acurately.

i have a program i downloaded somewhere called wfret. It is great , it gives the measurements in mm or inch to an accuracy of 0.1mm . THe cool thing is , it lets you print out a template that you can transfer to your fretboard.

well worth a try!

yeh i found that program on a guys site! he does some cool stuff with sewer pipe! and i used his idea for a binding jig for my dremel except o found some cooler pvc products to use that work easier! but yeh i geuss i could use that program,except than i spent 15$ for nothing! and that would just bother me.

but i will see if i can stil download it.