Noob, String Thru Body Question...

TOIL

I've been workin' up my curiousty here lately and thought about starting my first project guitar. While it will probably be a very basic build, I do eventually want to (if I can cut the mustard) build a nice PRS-style guitar and go the string thru body route.

My question is, what is used (if anything) to fortify the wood where the string petrudes from the body? Is anything routed thru the body or around the exit to ensure the string doesn't dig into the wood?

Hopefully I'm articulating the question properly...any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DJ

My question is, what is used (if anything) to fortify the wood where the string petrudes from the body?  Is anything routed thru the body or around the exit to ensure the string doesn't dig into the wood?

There are ferrules (back/bottom and top types of ferrules), some folks fortify the area with an inlaid, very dense wood or metal.

A while back, folks were discussing alternative ferrules -- eyelets (either craft eyelets, or those used in leather punches), grommets of somet type, used ball ends from guitar strings, etc.

Hit the 'search' link above -- good discussions on ferrules.

-- joe

What you are referring to are called ferrules TOIL. There are ferrules designed both for the rear of the body of the guitar and also for the front where the strings exit and travel to the bridge. Use the search feature and you will find many threads here that discuss them. The only problem I have seen so far with ferrules, is that the ones for the front of the body, behind the bridge are not widely manufactured. I believe I have only seen one link to a web site here at PG where you can order the front ferrules. The rear ferrules can be had just about anywhere, i.e. Stewart-Mac, Warmoth, Mity-Mite, All-Parts etc...