Just A Little Curious With Pickups Building

Hughes

I was just a little curious, I have this really strong magnet, and I put it where the pickups on my guitar are, put the wire in the amp and put the other end of the wire on the magnet, and I could here thumps when I touched the string...is there a way it could accually work?

you must have the windings wrapped around the magnet... the easiest kind of pup to build would be a lipstick pickup... just wrap a magnet with 42 gauge wire a couple thousand times with a single wire, then put the wrapped magnet in a "small box" of "lipstick tube"- connect each end of wire to your amp. This is the easisest it will get.

There's easier. If you take a strong magnet (like neodymium), put it below the strings, and electronically connect all the strings at the ends, then get two leads from the ends of the strings to your amp, and it should work. I made a test guitar with this pickup, but I wouldn't reccomend it for much.. it's very transparent, not very exciting, quiet, and there's not much hum. Like Ryan said, the other kind is relatively easy to make if you have the supplies and a pickup winder, and I'm sure it's more worthwhile.

Can I wind a pickup by hand?

HAHAHA ya you need like 7000 turns. So ya theoreticly you COULD though I cant see why anyone would want too. You gotta wrap a wire thats like a fourth the size of pencil lead like 7000 times PERFECTLY. I would just build a pickup winder. You can make one with a drill...

Dude, stop and think about what your asking. And think "could I figure this out by myself?" I'm not trying to bust on your case, but recently I've noticed people asking questions that are all questions that should be developed from opinion or experience, or even THOUGHT. Like the drill thing. How does a hand drill work? You put a shaft (you could probably use a dowel) into the chuck and tighten it, and it spins when u pull the trigger. I'm sure you oculd find out a way to mount a pickup onto a dowel and use a string or tape to hold the trigger down. Or you could use a hand turning drill, but that would take forever to wind 5000-10000 turns. Be inovative. This is the kind of thing that should be encouraged to come up with by yourself. Be creative...