Beech As Guitar/bass Body Wood?

flood

Hi from Germany,

I was surfing ebay.de and ran into a very attractive piece of spalted beech. I'm not all that familiar with guitar woods, and am looking for something for a first project, which will probably be a bass project, using the marleaux-pagelli bass as reference.

I'm not aware of too many manufacturers using beech as wood for the body. Googling around led me to hagstrom, who seem to use it. I'd be grateful for any tips regarding this. Thanks!

Hi, flood. I actually have used beech for a guitar body. Well, american beech anyways. The european beech is probably not too different. Ours is dense and heavy like hard maple, I think yours may be a bit softer, but not much. And it spalts very nicely. I have also made a neck with it, Beech shows a beautiful flake when quartersawn.

I didn't know Hagstrom used beech, thanks for that info. :D

I made the doors for my kitchen cabinets out of some heavily spalted maple, and didn't have any problems. I applied a waterborne polyurethane with a brush on them, though. Never sprayed any w/lacquer. What sort of finishing problems come up? The main one I can think of is the wormholes. I liked them in the doors, so I left them, but I bet they could be easily filled w/black epoxy or something.

I think (if I remember correctly - which I rearly do) it originally came up when someone was doing a carved top with spalted maple. The different densities make it a bit precarious. Not really finshing - my mistake.

I think the method that they used for finishing was CA glue (I think) to seal it all and make it a bit less soft. Like I said, I've never worked with it before, so it's probably a good time to bow out of this thread gracefully :D

Beech is a fine wood for solid-bodies but does have end-grain finishing issues. It needs a little extra care during filling/sealing stage to keep it looking consistent. I would consider you lucky if you found a piece with nice spalding and character. As always, avoid all heartwood.

I've worked with a lot of spalted beech over the years. It can be difficult to work, depending on the degree of spalting. If it is great looking wood.... buy it for a future project....But for your first build use something else that will be easier to work without the long learning curve....you'll be glad that you did.

I am glad you asked about Beech. I picked up a board a week ago that is highly figured Beech. When I say figured I mean it. This stuff is 100% consistent through the entire board and the full length. The curl (if it were Maple) would be master/ 5A or whatever you wanna call it. I had never seen Beech look like this, and was really hoping to use it on a guitar. I will take a picture and post it up.

Does anyone know if Beech would be viable as an acoustic back and sides? I really have not done my homework do not know how well it bends or how stable it is. From what I am reading above I get the impression it may act similar to Maple?

Beech is said to have excellent bending qualities, but you'd have to find a wide enough quartersawn piece to make a back. I'm gonna guess your figured piece is plainsawn? I've seen some incredible figure in old beech barn boards, up to 20"wide, but most of the commercially sold wood is very plain.

aS ORGMORG STATED, BEECH TAKES AND HOLDS(turned caps off) curves very well and is quite stable. I think I said in an earlier post that it is rare to find beech with any character but if it's gonna be used for a back you might want to sacrifice some of the asthetics for stability. Make it a little plainer, but stronger. Beech is kinda cool wood.

Here is a couple of pics of the figured Beech I mentioned. Sounds like it will bend well, thats good news. Quartersawn for the back?? A lot of people are building backs and side out of flat sawn figured Maples. I don't think flatsawn Beech is going to be a problem (especially if papermache is strong enough). Thanks for the info guys.

Figured Beech pics

Wow, I bet that looks so good when the light hits it. I really like the fleck you get out of quarter sawn Maple, if that shimmers the same way it must look killer. I see you are using it for a neck. Is Beech pretty stable? and how does it's stiffness compare to other woods normally used on necks (Maple, Mahogany, Spanish Cedar etc....)? Also how well does it usually carve? I really appreciate the info as I have yet to work with this stuff.

fryovanni, that is some awesome looking wood. Never seen beech quite that nice. As far as necks go, I think I would hold off because of its "conforming" abilities. I mean, like hickory, it succomes to gradual bending pressure. I know it carves well because you can still get "shop class" carving stock in beech. I guess you could say it's not a "beech" to work with. Now a "lol"?

Thanks for the info Doc. I will stray away from using it on a neck, sounds like it could seem good today and might twist and turn in time. I am really curious to here the tap tone when I get this stuff down to proper thickness. I really want to get three matched pieces put together to create a wave between the curls. Anyhow I have been hogging this post up so I best be on my way. Thank you very much for the info.

As far as necks go, I think I would hold off because of its "conforming" abilities. I mean, like hickory, it succomes to gradual bending pressure.

Could you elaborate on that please? I am not doubting you, I'd just like to get some more info, since I had been planning to make some more of these.

Possibly carbon fiber strips/rods would help out?