Can I Bring Out The Flame?

So I bid on this Ebay Mighty Mite maple satin finish licensed Strat neck for my new Partsocaster project, and it showed up yesterday. It has a lot of grain pattern in it, which I like, but I see quite a bit of faint flame in the back and the headstock. Is there something I can do to bring out the flame a little bit?

I haven't done nearly as much as you guys and that's why I'm here. I want to learn.

You might jsut have to test a few things out. Sometimes just adding clear coat or an oil finish can bring out all the grain including the flame depending on how the particular piece of wood you have reacts. I am not that familiar with every type of finish there is but most of the time whatever I used changed the look of the wood drastically in a good way. take a look at this guitar I recently finished Guitar

look at the before and after pics of the buckeye burl. The first one is the natural unfinished wood and the second one is after I applied an epoxy sealer. I had to use a thick epoxy since the buckeye was very soft and porous. thats what the wood wiil look like when clear coated. Also there was a lot of quilt in the mahagony in the rest of the guitar that I did not see until the sealer was put on. If you can try out a few things, you never know what might show up.

So I bid on this Ebay Mighty Mite maple satin finish licensed Strat neck for my new Partsocaster project, and it showed up yesterday. It has a lot of grain pattern in it, which I like, but I see quite a bit of faint flame in the back and the headstock. Is there something I can do to bring out the flame a little bit?

I haven't done nearly as much as you guys and that's why I'm here. I want to learn.

BLO -- boiled linseed oil

Most woodworkers use this. I've done BLO and shellac before. Careful with disposing the rags, though. (drying BLO gives off heat, can catch trashbin on fire sometimes)

Otherwise, any oil finish should bring out the grain a bit more. There should be lots of posts here about popping grain with an oil finish.

A quick google of "boiled linseed oil" and guitar shows some 'how-to' info

--joe