New Blackie

So being as obsessed with Strats as I am, I had to put together another one to backup my main Fender.

To make a long story short, it's an anonymous body modified to accept a preloaded Mighty Mite pickguard assembly, the tremolo bridge that came with the body, jackplate fom Ebay, a Mighty Mite maple neck with some nice figuring, and some Ping tuners from another project that never got finished. Overall, way less than $200.

I took it to rehearsal today, and it sounds pretty good. The pickups are a little hotter than my Fender, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It still needs some setup work, but that's because I ran out of time before I had to leave.

Here it is. No great detail pics, but you know.

http://www.nightschoolband.com/images/Black%20Strat.jpg

How do those MightyMite singlecoils sound? Also, hows the fretwork on MightyMite neck?

I've been curious about MightyMite stuff, I know its made by Cor-Tek (Cort) in Korea and its really inexpensive.

The pickups are hotter than Mexican Fenders. Ceramic magnets, I think. A little on the bright side, but not at all offensive.

This neck is pretty good. The edges feel "rolled" and the fret ends are nice and smooth. The first fret buzzes a bit at the high E, but I think I can adjust that out.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Definitely not a high end collector piece, but that's not what I built it for. I can't stand being afraid to ding one up.