Diy Fret Crowning Tool?

LaXu

Any ideas on making your own fret crowning tool? I tried making one by grinding a slot into a toothbrush and using sandpaper but that didn't seem to work too well, didn't round well. What other things I could use? I really don't want to buy a 50€ fret file...

The traditional method of crowning the frets seems to be using a triangle file. What kind of file should I use and especially how? What's the best way to file to get a well rounded fret?

Oh and I'm using Dunlop 6120 fretwire, ebony fretboard with binding.

You can buy a fret crowning burr fron Stew-Mac and make your own handle for it. I made one from an old toothbrush handle, which cost significantly less than the one from SM.

Here is the link:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_suppl...wning_File.html

Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the world. Sure I could get them from Stewmac but after shipping costs and possible taxes it wouldn't be cheap. Not to mention having to wait for them to arrive...

I'd still like to hear some tips on filing technique with a triangle file.

I'd still like to hear some tips on filing technique with a triangle file.

Heres how I do it. After levelling, all the frets will have flat tops. I take a black marker and color all the fret tops. The file I use has two of the corners ground smooth. I double tape the fret board wood and use the file with the two ground corners straddling the fret. This is to ensure that there are no sharp edges that will rip the tape and damage the wood underneath. The file is laid flat alongside one side of the fret and pushed in a curving motion towards the top of the fret almost up to the centerline. Work it from one end of the fret to the other on both sides without actually disturbing the fret center (crown) of the fret. When you are done there should be the faintest black marker line down the very center of each fret. Then smooth out the frets with sandpaper. I begin with 320 grit then work with finer grits up to 1200. Then polish with 000 steel wool.

Edited by Southpa

Heres how I do it.  After levelling, all the frets will have flat tops.  I take a black marker and color all the fret tops.  The file I use has two of the corners ground smooth.  I double tape the fret board wood and use the file with the two ground corners straddling the fret.  This is to ensure that there are no sharp edges that will rip the tape and damage the wood underneath.  The file is laid flat alongside one side of the fret and pushed in a curving motion towards the top of the fret almost up to the centerline.  Work it from one end of the fret to the other on both sides without actually disturbing the fret center (crown) of the fret.  When you are done there should be the faintest black marker line down the very center of each fret.  Then smooth out the frets with sandpaper.  I begin with 320 grit then work with finer grits up to 1200.  Then polish with 000 steel wool.

Thanks. Will give that a try. First I have to replace a couple of frets though, they are way too low and leveling the others would take a bit too much off the tops.