Custom Template And Fret Calculations

mkat

Hi,

I'm making a template of a bolt on neck from one of my basses. The neck is slightly concave, since that's how it's setup. Now this will take away a few millimetres from the total neck length, which I can adjust in the length that I use. Now, is that all I need prior to using a fret calculator to determine the position of the frets? I don't want to mark the fret locations on my template based on the actual neck it comes from, since it has strings on it and is concave as I mentioned, in order to be more accurate.

So, I'd just like to know if I'm on the right track here.

Regards,

Michael

I'm making a template of a bolt on neck from one of my basses. The neck is slightly concave, since that's how it's setup. Now this will take away a few millimetres from the total neck length, which I can adjust in the length that I use. Now, is that all I need prior to using a fret calculator to determine the position of the frets? I don't want to mark the fret locations on my template based on the actual neck it comes from, since it has strings on it and is concave as I mentioned, in order to be more accurate.

What you need to know is the scale length. I don't know what the scale length is on the instrument you are trying to copy, but it most likely is a standard length. Look up the spec's on that model bass and it will tell you (maybe 34",34.5",35"???). The scale length and number of frets is what you need to know (assuming you are not trying to use special compensation, but from the look of your question. I assume not).

Peace, Rich