Whats Good For A Angled Headstock

I've always been leary of doing this because of the grain runout issue, but it's done all the time. Also, reading the discussions on it here has given me more confidence in it, especially with a laminated neck. An angled peghead from all one piece still worries me, at least without a plate on the face.

I am not a fan of flatsawn-one piece. I really doubt it would break though. Maybe you could beef up the volute, don't have a continuous route to the headstock for the truss (stop it and drill back leaving wood below the nut). I would imagine that would be your plan anyway. By doing these things you will add strength and maybe that will compensate for any weakness that occurs from runout. If you are really wanting to go for broke you could route in a couple rods and cap them with a veneer (I don't think I would go that far though). Lighter weight tuners would be a huge plus if thats an option for ya.

Peace, Rich

The more combined weight you have on the headstock the more stress you will apply to area where the neck and stock meet (more potential, and when the neck is stopped abrupty (or hits something) thats when the forces really stress that weak point and may cause failure). Lighter tuners will not change the tension applied by the strings. However neck angle will alter the force applied by string tension. Just trying to make general suggestions to help decrease the chance of failure.

Peace, Rich