Design Idea

Care to give your opinion on this design idea? It's a rough sketch made in Photoshop using the outline of a photo (so it's not completely accurate...).

I just picked up a Fender MIJ Strat, and it's great, and it sounds awesome... but I think Strats are ugly. On the other hand, I think those old Epiphone Crestwoods (Coronets, Olympics) look great.

I'm thinking of a modified Crestwood with Fender electronics. Call it a Crest-o-caster. Something like this:

crestwood2005Small.jpg

Has a bit of that Rickenbacker thing going there too (I love that Ric look too). Basically, all I've done so far is flatten the top around the neck joint. I might fatten up/square off the sides a bit more (or shift the curves up a little higher). What I like about the Crestwood is it's stockiness.

I definitely want to add in body contours on this one. (I was planning on using my Fender electronics on a Bocaster shape, but I think this one will be more fun).

Oh yeah, and I'm thinking a nice mustard yellow color. And it'll have a Bigsby, not a strat-type trem.

Feel free to draw on the photo if you have other ideas!

The guitar is way to fat in my opinion. It is nearly as wide as it is high. It will be to heavy and uncomfortable I think. I recommend making it thinner.

Here's a couple snaps of the original --I get the feeling that it's a little shorter than a strat, and that's what gives it is 'squatness'? I don't think I've ever seen one in person...

I think the first one is a Coronet reissue:

Picture2.jpg

and this one is from 1964:

1964_Epiphone_Coronet_223193.jpg

Ok! I think you modeled ot after the picture of the yellow one. But that picture looks a little distorted. The red one looks way more balanced I think.

Yeah, I like the red one too, especially the top part...and I don't know how I'd fit a strat pickup setup AND a bigsby on the yellow one...still, I kind of like that squared off thing (go figure). Think I'll go pick up some plywood to try out different variations. I'm going to work things up in Autocad too, that'll help, photoshop isn't accurate enough.