Celestion Century

willliam_q

just wondering if anyone has tried the new Celestion Century speakers yet? I'm hoping to get some for a 2x12" cab i'm building.

The reason I'm interested in them is cause they are supposed to be 1/3rd lighter than the Vintage 30. easier for haulin about between gigs.

Just wonderin what the general consensus is.

cheers

I thought I posted on this about three days ago but I guess not. I put four Century 60s in closed-back cabs and they sounded OK but really quiet. After double checking impedence and everything, I realised that they are just different than what I was used to (and wanting) so I took them out. Not a week later, the end of a lighting truss was put through the front of my ProReverb (don't you just HATE when that happens?) and I put two of them in the Pro. VERY nice and British, if I might say so. Brighter than the old (1966) Jensens but in a nice way. I DO notice a bit of latency in the bass. The bass almost sounds like an echo or something. Like them, though. The weight don't really mean crap, by the way. I mean, it's like 14 oz. per speaker different. But these speakers seem to like open-backs. Go figure!