Change Double-locking To A Standard Bridge

I have an electric with a double locking tremelo on it. The bar on it is "broken" in some manner so it does not go up and down smoothly, not too mention I do not use the tremelo anyways.

For ease, I would like to put in a standard bridge. The tremelo is a normal floyd-rose double locking; it rests on two pegs which go up and down for action height, and is pulled back with 3 springs. Anyhow, what kind of bridge (specs) do I need to use to do the least work, so I can remove the locks and have a simple bridge?

Also, how difficult would it be to make my own bridge - in particular to alter the distance between each string so they do not get so large towards the bridge?

Thanks for the recommendations, a link to example on musiciansfriend would help!

Some awfully broad questions and no easy answers. I'd search around this forum some, but you're probably best taking it to a builder. Generally that type of conversion involves squaring up the tremolo cavity and filling it with a chunk of wood, then installing your fixed bridge after.

Conversion to a non locking trem would be easier, some, like the wilkinson trems have a knife edge on one side to accomodate different post widths. That might work. As for the nut.. i'd just remove the clamps and leave the bottom part. That's the easiest and cheapest.

Tremolos aren't that hard to trouble shoot though.. it sounds like yours has some issues.. take the plate off the back, watch it in action and you should be able to see what is rubbing, or keeping it from operating smoothly. A new trem bar is a lot cheaper than any of the above mentioned ideas.

add a couple of springs, tighten the back till your trem is pulled back and locked.. or get a stabilizer bar like a tremsetter or something to keep it from moving, then you effectively have a fixed bridge. If it's a recessed trem and you do the spring method, you may need to stick a shim of wood in the recessed cavity for the trem to rest on or you'll need a lot of tension to pull it all the way back.