Would It Be Possible

Hello and before you kill me, the search button didnt seem to work at my workplace so i couldnt use it :D

Random question but would Mahogany be a good choice of wood for guitar? i know its quite dense making it heavy BUT it looks so nice and it got me thinking...

This would be my second project and i think it would make a nice finish.

Thanks for your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~ :D

thats a "is he serious?" do some research. go to some good guitar makers sites (like gibson for instance) and see what they make thier bodies out of :D

Like i said im sorry im at work and the majority of websites have been blocked... i think they caught onto the fact i do nothing much at work exept come on here... :D

Thanks for the help... i like Yngwies gibson flying V... tis very purdy... B)

** Toddles off ** :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Hello and before you kill me, the search button didnt seem to work at my workplace so i couldnt use it  B)

Random question but would Mahogany be a good choice of wood for guitar? i know its quite dense making it heavy BUT it looks so nice and it got me thinking...

:DB):D

Sorry... But anyways, yeah use Mahagony! It is a really great choice! There's one reason why Les Pauls a) are so freakin' heavy :D sound that cool...

Mahagony!

What the others were no doubt going to say, after getting over their apoplectic fits that is, was that mahogany is probably one of the most used woods for luthiery around, good for necks, bodies and all that.

Ahh cheers :D

I look forward to beginning the project soon, just need to order the wood in...

~~ Slain Angel ~~

~~ Slain Angel ~~  :D

Have a look at the Gibson Melody Makers and the Epiphone Crestwoods (Coronets and Olympics too) from the 1960s. They're made of mahogany, but the body is slimmed down (my Melody Maker is only 38 mm or so) so they're not heavy at all. In fact, my Melody Maker, which has a mahogany neck too, is one of the lightest guitars I've ever held.

To see how amazingly beautiful a mahogany guitar can be, check out Godin's guitar

and Albertop's SG

LOL.. don't feel bad. Judging by your avatar i assume you're an ibanez fan. I've had friends that thought basswood was the only thing guitars were made of. But yes, mahogany is great.. 50 years of les pauls can't be wrong!!

If you stick to an ibanez type body style you could get some really warm raw tones.. i would imagine kind of SG like.. Les Pauls have way more body mass than the modern soloist/double cut style. There used to be a JS model made out of mahogany back in the day.

Yeh indeed i am an Ibanez fan. I *Should* be getting an Ibanez RG350DX soon as long as everything goes to plan...

My avatar is a Modified Showmaster which im currently working on which should be done soon (since im off school for the next 2 weeks)

The one thing i feared orginanaly and now even more so, is that my mahogany guitar is going to way A LOT. Thats the only thing that stopped me buying a LP... the weight...

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Yeh indeed i am an Ibanez fan. I *Should* be getting an Ibanez RG350DX soon as long as everything goes to plan...

My avatar is a Modified Showmaster which im currently working on which should be done soon (since im off school for the next 2 weeks)

The one thing i feared orginanaly and now even more so, is that my mahogany guitar is going to way A LOT. Thats the only thing that stopped me buying a LP... the weight...

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I bet it won't. By the time you do cavity routing, pickup routing, trem routing, tummy and forearm contour.. you'll be pretty lightweight.. if you need more, do the monkey grip :D Les pauls are generally mahogany with a maple cap. If you were really worried about weight you could do that kind of body, and you could hollow out chambers underneath the cap. I think though with that style body you'll be fine. Ses pauls are almost 2 inches thick and the lower bouts are huge. Also the neck is mahogany.

You'd be suprised how little weight affects a guitar's playability (within a certain range). A Les Paul is only about 1 or 2 pounds heavier than a Strat, on average. I built a 4.7 pound guitar, and it is nice, but not all that much lighter feeling than a Strat (although I can play it for hours without any ache in my back). Anyway, if you are concerned with weight, you could just make the body thinner, shave off some wood.

You'd be suprised how little weight affects a guitar's playability (within a certain range).  A Les Paul is only about 1 or 2 pounds heavier than a Strat, on average.  I built a 4.7 pound guitar, and it is nice, but not all that much lighter feeling than a Strat (although I can play it for hours without any ache in my back).  Anyway, if you are concerned with weight, you could just make the body thinner, shave off some wood.

I know that over all weight isnt a major issue BUT im in a band and i am very *active* when on stage. Im known for running about and doing random stage antics so i like to have a nice light guitar for running about with :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Also invest in a good strap. Those nylon jobs you see everywhere -- i can't take em. I have a nice leather wide strap with locking clips, about 4-5 inches wide.. I played a friends 6 string bass the other night for an entire 2 hr gig and never once had an ouce of pain.. You have to distribute the weight properly.

Also invest in a good strap.  Those nylon jobs you see everywhere -- i can't take em.  I have a nice leather wide strap with locking clips, about 4-5 inches wide.. I played a friends 6 string bass the other night for an entire 2 hr gig and never once had an ouce of pain.. You have to distribute the weight properly.

I currently use a 3 maybe 4 inch wide leather strap (with pretty little studs on lol)

And that seems to do a good job with my KKV.

I also have a 2 inch wide Fluffy guitar strap :DB)

Ahh must live the rockers life ... Fluffy all the way :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Hmm, my mahogany basses always seem to be the lightest basses I build. Then again, I do look for light mahogany when I look through the lumber piles. Route out some chambers inside of the boby for extra weight reduction. Or if you really want to take a stand and freak people out, make it headless. It may not "look balanced" but it sure as hell will be, and it will feel lighter than it really is.

Hmm, my mahogany basses always seem to be the lightest basses I build. Then again, I do look for light mahogany when I look through the lumber piles. Route out some chambers inside of the boby for extra weight reduction. Or if you really want to take a stand and freak people out, make it headless. It may not "look balanced" but it sure as hell will be, and it will feel lighter than it really is.

Headless? i really dont like them. Just a pesonal thing i can understand why people do but personally cant stand them.

Routing out cavitys was my plan after reading through :D

I really want to start work on this project a.s.a.p so ill keep you upto date if all goes well :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I dont think weight will be too big an issue in a strat style guitar, especially if its going to a have a trem route in the back aswell. and sorry if my first post wasnt very clear, my humour is often subtle... and not very good either :D . good luck with your project.

I dont think weight will be too big an issue in a strat style guitar, especially if its going to a have a trem route in the back aswell. and sorry if my first post wasnt very clear, my humour is often subtle... and not very good either :D . good luck with your project.

Hey JoJo T. Magnifficent, dont worry about it after people explained that it was just me being stupid i realised what you was doing :D

Its all good B)

~~ Slain Angel ~~

My two favorite combinations are a Mahogany neck and body (own two guitars like that), and Basswood body and maple neck.

As a matter of fact, my next hot rodded strat project I'm going to use either mahogany, alder, or basswood.

How would you guys that have had more experience working with these materials directly compare basswood and mahogany? I like basswood because it has a real sweet smooth mellow warm tone to it and sustains nice. Mahogany is like that but brighter, and heavier.

My two favorite combinations are a Mahogany neck and body (own two guitars like that), and Basswood body and maple neck.

As a matter of fact, my next hot rodded strat project I'm going to use either mahogany, alder, or basswood.

How would you guys that have had more experience working with these materials directly compare basswood and mahogany? I like basswood because it has a real sweet smooth mellow warm tone to it and sustains nice. Mahogany is like that but brighter, and heavier.

I havent used Mahogany as yet... *hence the stupid question that started this thread lol* BUT i currently own two guitars that use basswood bodys and they do indeed have great sustain.

I think after my mahogany project, im going to make another basswood body.. i love em'

~~ Slain Angel ~~