Storing Pickups

You may not like this but put them on the bottom bar of an old-fashioned steel coathanger and hang them in your closet. Let the magnets hold them to the hanger and it will act as a half-way "saver" for the magnets. You really don't need to worry much about losing the gauss of the magnet but every little bit brings piece of mind. Can't tell you where this came from or I'd have to kill me.

Okay... this may be completely stupid, but I have to throw this out there...

I'm storing my pickups in an aluminum box, to keep them safe from the various magnetic devices that I have in my shop. (Aluminum is non-magnetic, hence it works as a shield.)

My concern is not the loss of polarity, but reversing the polarity by getting the wrong end of the pickup's poles too close to the wrong "end" of a stronger magnetic force. This wouldn't be a concern if the pickup has a substantial magnet under the poles, but some appear to be merely "charged" Alinco V metal poles... which could be re-magnetized or demagnetized.

Of course, if all of that is incorrect, just slap me... spank me... oh baby...

D~s

That is the ides behind the old "keeper" or "saver" idea. You put a magnetic conductor over the poles of attraction and they are not supposed to be affected by outside magnetic influence. I am not 100% convinced but I'm probly to old to rebel. The idea of storing a pickup in diverse orientation to a pickup with stronger magnets is a valid concern. That's where you would get gauss degradation if it were to ever happen. Also, DO NOT EVER EVER EVER store pickups in the same drawer with 3 1/2" floppies!!!! OR ZIP discs!! Boy, am I ever dumb!! :D

Also, DO NOT EVER EVER EVER store pickups in the same drawer with 3 1/2" floppies!!!! OR ZIP discs!! Boy, am I ever dumb!!

I know one that's even dumber: A company that puts out scheduling software (for radio stations) sent our latest upgrade... and included a handy magnet that had their name and contact numbers on it. Needless to say, they received more than just a couple of phone calls from frustrated radio stations.

Thank God and Sony for CDs.

D~s