More Inlay- Living Sea-3 Update

Clavin

Hi guys.

Here is the fretboard and headstock from Living Sea-3.

It's the most complex series of inlays I have done to date. More photo-real than anything previously. It has to be over 500 pieces total so far. please see the other links for the fingerboard images.

Yes there is more going on this guitar- the back.

Any questions please ask!

Thanks as always for looking!

Craig Lavin

clownfish-headstock.jpg

http://www.handcraftinlay.com/livingsea3.html

Thanks Devon..

I underdstand that large image inlay is definitly not for everyone, and that a wood's natural beauty has to show through. That's one of the reasons my guitars have completely BARE body fronts. I personally don't like inlay on the front of the body. The back, absolutely, but wood does need to be seen, especially a high end quilt! This body is lake salvaged 5A quilt. No inlay is going on the front, just a paua purfling, with black edges. Deep greens and blues on a brown natural "stain quilt"

Thanks for looking!

C.Lavin

Man, that is just insane.  I feel like I'm watching Finding Nemo with my kids.

I was thinking the same thing.. lol.. Hide a little inlay in there somewhere of a diver mask that says "p. sherman. 42 wallaby way. sydney" lol..

Incredible work.. the nemo comment is in NO WAY meant to detract from what an incredible inlay job this is.. You can tell who has little kids!

Don't worry!

I did this inlay because my little one of 17 months love fishes as much as his mom and dad.... He shouts out Nemo whenever he see the headstock! I did do it on purpose for that reason.

I honestly thought about putting Nemo on the back of the headstock, but since this guitar may/hopefully get some press, I am reluctant to do anything copywrite related..

Thanks for looking!

Craig. L

This IS on the headstock, BUT, due to the "new" (not so new actually) tuning button free Steinberger tuners (see Stew-Mac), all of the tuning keys will fit neatly out in front of the inlay, inset into the ebony.

This image will remain un-tuned!

Since thier are no tuner keys to stick out of the sides, they can fit anywhere (relatively) on the headstock! Inlayers rejoice! Your art can now be seen on headstocks un-edited!

:D

Craig L

I use a standard Foredom router, and Stew-Mac spirial downcut bits.

As for hours, on my own pieces such as this one I don't really keep track. If I had to guess, including researching images, design, drawing, layout, re-drawing for cleanup, then edits, redraws, etc.. then patterning, choosing matrials, cutting, etc.. engraving, I'd say at least 75-100 so far.

How many ahead?

Possibly another 20. Maybe more?

Craig

Craig, beautiful. It's easy to see you love the subject matter.

I would say unbelievable but since it exists it must be believable - just beyond the realm of normal. Now as an exercise in meditation, I must go and contemplate how to create inlaid fish lips. Or are they inset? Or are they scribed?

My favorite is the angel fish.

No, the tortoise....

No, the seahorse....