Name That Tweeter

unclej

i've got a customer that wants me to duplicate an old main/monitor for him. looks like an old peavy or something but no id on it. the woofer was easy..evm-15L..that's purchased and on it's way. but it has three individual tweeters and i'd like to match them as close as possible. they have a number stamped into the retaining ring that screws to the cab front but i didn't get any results when i googled it. so how do you identify the ratings of a tweeter? if i removed one from the circuit and put a meter on it would it tell me anything useful?

well never mind that..i did take one out of the circuit and got nothing on the meter.

thanks for the response saber. the number was 50E59062-A01. as to the pic..i've got to get out of here right now but i'll post one in the morning and see if that helps...

thanks again

You didn't get a reading because it is blown. It is probly one of the marvelous Pyles, or something similar. You didn't say if it was dome, compression, horn or what but Peavey liked them some Pyle domes. Dey called em PVDT24 or 12s. About 4 1/2 to 6 inch. No, 3 1/2 to 5 inch.

that actually makes sense...there are three of them wired together and the one i tested was in the middle...i'll do some more research tomorrow and post a picture. i don't know the difference between the ones that you're naming but i'm guessing that this one is a dome..because of the way it looks..

thanks.

no solid state type crossover..the wires come from the input jack to the woofer..from the woofer to the first tweeter with a 1.0 uf 200v cap in line on the positive wire then on to the other two tweeters with a couple of resistors ending the circuit.

You didn't get a reading because it is blown.

Not necessarily. If it's a piezo, it will give an infinite resistance reading.

And one of the reasons I was asking if there was a crossover is that piezo tweeters can be used without a crossover or high pass filter. But the presence of high-pass capacitors doesn't necessarily mean that they're not piezos. And the small 1.0uF value would mean a ridiculously high cutoff frequency of 20kHz if it was a typical 8ohm tweeter. Did you try the cabinet out? If you get sound from the tweeters and they read an infinite resistance, then they're piezos.

That's all I can say with the information you've given us so far.

according to the customer the cabinet works fine and sounds great..that's why we're trying to replicate it. i haven't heard it myself and don't know if i'd be able to tell if one of three tweeters were blown or not. i've got a student first thing this morning but when i'm finished i'll post a pic.

thanks for the interest.

ok, here's a link to some pics. thanks again.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1304441

sorry about the zoom thing..i just tried it and it seemed to work fine but anyway, that does look just like it and gives me a starting place.

i appreciate the help.

unclej