Building My Guitar

I am currently building a guitar (the one in my avatar) and need some suggestions :D

The current set up will be

• BODY: Basswood

• NECK: Maple, C-Shape,

(Polyurethane Finish)

• FINGERBOARD: Rosewood

• NO. OF FRETS: 24 4 Jumbo

• HARDWARE: Black

• MACHINE HEADS: Standard Die-Cast Tuners

• BRIDGE: Hard Tail – String Through Body

• PICKUPS: 1 Humbucker

• CONTROLS: Master Volume

• OTHER: Monkey grip

Now the main questions are... How easy would it be for me to throw the Hard Tail bridge out and put in either a floyd/Khaler or at least a Fender Strat style bridge?

Also the pickups... It is a single stock humbucker... How easy would this be for me to split the humbucker so i can use it as a single coil or a humbucker (via a switch i would install)

Thanks for your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~

The trem.. There is a link above on routing dimensions for a floyd.. You have to bore 2 holes for the posts, then route a shape on the top side, and then another shape ont he bottom side.. The two meet at one point to allow the trem block to go through. A Kahler, if you can find one, will be the same way with the exception of the flyer.. and i have seen some of those on ebay recently. It is a surface mount kinda.. you have to recess it a tad and route out a space for it's built in spring system to live in.. but it doesn't go all the way through the body.

The pickup, if it has 2 wires can't be split.. unless you modify it. if it has 4 wires then you're all good. just check out guitarelectronics.com and look through the wiring diagrams and you'll find some that include a split hb.

Unfortuntly my Humbucker does have 2 cables :D

And you say it is possible via modification...Does this include me screaming uncontrolably after 400 Failed attempts of trying?

Yeh i noticed 2 that Khlaers seem to be appearing recently on Ebay... hence y i was intrested in the idea!

Im gonna go n read through the Trem part u mentioned and get that marked out...

If it isnt ** to ** bad would you mind either posting a link or the actual technique required to Coil tap a 2 cabled Humbucker!

Unfortuntly my Humbucker does have 2 cables

If your budget isn't too tight, it's easy enough to find splittable humbuckers (have a look at the GFS pickups on ebay, they're good quality and the prices are definitely reasonable). After that, all you need is a mini switch and little soldering time.

I don't think it's worth the trouble converting a nonsplittable humbucker.

After living with a strat for the last month, I have to say I think the floating trem design blows...I much prefer my bigsbys! Much easier to install too.

Yeh seems like a good idea... think i might go get me some dimarzio's :D

Nah i dont like bigsbys dont get me wrong i can understand why people do but i hacve played many a time on a Floyd and i dunno... i just seem to love the way i can abuse them!

Me thinks a shopping trip to ebay for Dimarzio's is in store...

Thanks for your help

yeah bigsby's have their place.. but for your style you're going to want something you can dive and do crazy stuff with i'm sure..

i don't know of any tutorials per se on splitting the HB.. basically you have 2 single coils and and if you open it up you should see a a lead wire go to one, a jumper connect to the other, and the other lead wire coming out of the second.. You would just alter it to where both coils have output wires and you recreate the configuration with switching.

But as idch said.. chek out GFS. He has fairly reasonable shipping overseas too. He's got an SD invader clone that would probably fit the bill. pretty cheap too. go to ebay and do a search for GFS pickup then go to the GuitarFetish ebay store, you'll find all that in there.

Nah i dont like bigsbys dont get me wrong i can understand why people do but i hacve played many a time on a Floyd and i dunno...  i just seem to love the way i can abuse them!

That's right, you don't want to dive bomb too hard with a bigsby... :D (I'm more into that shimmer thang)

I didn't see that you're in the UK....I've ordered a few pups from GFS already (to France), but the last order they nearly doubled the shipping...used to cost me about $9 for a set of pickups, now it's up to $15...still get some reasonable deals from him, but from now on I'll be shipping to my US address...

Hmm divebombing on a bigsby... now that could be intrestin :D

Heh shipping isnt to much of an issue as i have relatives in america etc who are willing to collect goods and then ship them here for me B)

Im sure ive been on GuitarFetish before... but ill take another gander.. been a while since i ventured into the wilderness...

Ahh one thing thats putting me off from Dimarzio's... TO MANY COLOURS LOL!!! :D

They give so many options as to what colour pickup you want its got me thinking...aaah dear...

Thanks for your help :D