Tele Routes

I thought there was a thread on here somewhere where someone said how deep each of the telecaster routes are supposed to be, but I could not find it.

Can someone tell me the route depths for:

Pickups (standard single coil)

The wire passage

Control Cavity

Much thanks.

Mitch

I just measured a stock body and both pickup pockets are right at 1" deep. The control cavity is 1 1/4" deep and it has no wire route. I drill a diagonal hole from the output jack through the corner of the control cavity and on to both pickup cavities. It takes a little extra planning but I don't use pickgaurds. I would think that 3/4" would be more than enough for the wires with a pickgaurd.

Here's what I use, which I believe are based on measurements from a 50s telecaster. Over the years the depths certainly could have changed, so this may not apply to newer ones.

Neck pickup: 3/4"

Bridge pickup: 7/8"

Wire passage: 3/4"

Control Cavity: 1 1/2"

I initially tried to do a shallower control cavity route, but had to deepen it to 1 1/2" because my switch sits 1 3/8" below the control plate.

Thanks for those numbers mrdevoe. I just finished the tele control cavity and opted to chisel out a depression to accomodate the bottom of the switch. I dare not go deeper the guitar is on the shy side 1 5/8" body thickness. :D I still haven't done the pickup cavities and will wait until I have pickups in hand. Know anyone local who has decent prices?

Thanks for those numbers mrdevoe.  I just finished the tele control cavity and opted to chisel out a depression to accomodate the bottom of the switch.  I dare not go deeper the guitar is on the shy side 1 5/8" body thickness.  :D  I still haven't done the pickup cavities and will wait until I have pickups in hand.  Know anyone local who has decent prices?

No, I've never found any decent prices for parts locally. I think mail order is the best way to go. If you buy parts locally you still have to pay the GST and PST just like you would when you import something, so the only extra cost associated with mail order is the price of shipping. As much as I'd like to support a local business, I'd rather not pay a huge markup on something that I can easily order myself from a supplier.